PDA

View Full Version : Red Slim Issue

twmcguire
10/30/2009, 02:25 PM
my tanks has been running for about two months and i have been having issues with red slim. i talked to a few people and they said it is normal for a new tank and just to let it run its course. i wanted to check with a few other people to see if they had any advice. here are the tank details.

28g nano with pc lights - lights and tank were new/never used when i set it up
im not running a skimmer right now. i just have the media that came with the tank. 3 sponges, carbon bag, and a bag with ceramic media
30lbs of rock. the rock was dead when i got it but i cycled it for three weeks before i setup the tank
two pumps that came with the tank and one K1 so about 932 gph?
saltwater and r/o water is purchased from mid-cities aquatics

salinity = 1.024
ammonia/nitrites = 0
ph = 8.3
alk = normal (1.7 - 2.8 according to the test card)
phosphates = .25
nitrates = 5
temp = 80.1

I have been doing weekly 5g water changes for the last three weeks to get the nitrtates/phosphates down. I did a 10g water change on tuesday and used the vacuum on the sand.

I also cut the light time down to 6 hours per day.

cuc = 30 dwarf cerith, 10 nassarius, 10 nerite, 3 astrea, 2 fighting conch

fish = 1 damsel and 1 blenny (I feed flakes every other day - no more than they eat in about a min)

so my question is do i just need to let the red slim run its course or is there another issue that i need to check?

i tried to get all the important information in, but let me know if there are details i left out

thanks for the help

IluvGod'sreefs
10/30/2009, 04:13 PM
It sounds to me like you're having some new tank syndrome. I just had a bout with the slime myself, but, my tank is over a yr old. I think you should try to be patient with all of this, because patience is the most important aspect of the hobby--you can't rush anything! Also, 6 hrs is the very least you should run your lights. The health of your animals is dependent on adequate light--intensity AND duration. Finally, I really think you should get a skimmer. It will help remove a lot of things from the water that cause problems.

Of course, all of this is purely IMO(in my opinion). Good luck to you!

Pinchy
10/31/2009, 01:41 PM
I agree with the last comment... My tank is a 150 reef that's about 5 months old and the red slime has basically completly dissapered. However when it was at about the same age as yours I had the same question and concern. I was told to physically clean and remove as much as possible.. And just keep on top of your water quality.. Basically exactly what u have been doing, and slowly it will cycle and subside... But it sucks waiting and looking at it in the mean time!

Just a testimonial of the same issue and eventual sucess by doing the same as you. Hope it reassures you somewhat at least.. :-)

swannyson7
10/31/2009, 05:58 PM
Your phosphates are high which will contribute to this problem. Try to get them under wraps. A skimmer will help, but you should reduce feeding and maybe run some aluminum oxide in a media bag .

twmcguire
10/31/2009, 06:43 PM
thanks for the info guys..

yeah - i know the phospahates are high. i will look into the suggestion on the media bag. i was hoping the water changes would help lower it.

thanks again for the reply.

jenjen
10/31/2009, 06:56 PM
Keep up with the water changes!!! It takes a fair while of diligent water changes to see any effect in the tank.

Three things which contribute to algae growth are:

water quality (ie: high nitrates/phosphate promotes algae growth)
water flow (low flow promotes algae growth)
lighting (inadequate, or a change in lighting can promote algae growth)

Example: my 180gal reef has been running for 7 or 8 months, and was an upgrade from a 90gal that had been running 13 months. Haven't had algae in ages, then all of a sudden I see cyano. Couple weeks go by and my entire sandbed is covered in it. I discovered 2 burnt out actinic bulbs, and once I replaced them the cyano has completely gone away on it's own over about 2 weeks. I didn't change anything else.

In a new tank I'd suggest checking your flow (make sure there's adequate movement throughout the entire tank), ensure you have good lighting, keep up with water changes so you nutrient levels stay low... and then just wait it out. :)

If you don't like looking at it, you can scoop/net it out. It'll come back, but it's nice to look at a 'clean' tank once in a while regardless.

BTW...

[welcome]