PDA

View Full Version : Fish safe furniture stains?

kylie d
10/30/2009, 05:28 PM
My unfinished stand and canopy just got delivered this afternoon and so I am heading out to Lowes to buy stainer and sealer to finish them and then build them. Should I be wary or stay away from any certain type of stainer/sealer or ingredients?

Thanks,

Kylie

arredondojason
10/30/2009, 06:35 PM
just let the stain and sealer cure fully and you will be fine.

Ruskin
10/30/2009, 07:23 PM
agreed, if it fully cures and you keep it out of the tank ;) you will be fine.

kylie d
10/31/2009, 08:52 AM
Ok, thank you! I got red oak stain and polyurathane sealer. I'm gonna start working on it this afternoon. I'm really excited because this will be my first step to actually building my 40g breeder reef! I'll post pictures later tonight!

Yay!

redfishsc
10/31/2009, 09:30 AM
I'm a professional wood finisher, and poly is a great choice for our tank stands.

Let me offer you some advice though. Make sure you are using a good quality china-bristle brush. Spend $15 on a decent brush here.

Also, thin your first coat of polyurethane by around 30% with mineral spirits and brush on a THIN but wet coat. DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT pile on the polyurethane. Thick coats will mean uneven finishes, drips and runs, and overall an ugly appearance.

Also, let that first coat dry overnight, and come back and sand it nice and smooth with some 320 grit sandpaper (or better yet a 320 grit sanding sponge but you'll need a couple of them and they aren't cheap at Lowes, but they are cheap at paint specialty stores like Sherwin Williams).

After you sand the stand with the 320 grit, thin the second coat maybe around 15%, and again DO NOT PILE IT ON. The thinner you can brush it on while still getting an even finish, the better.

Even coating is the goal; not thickness.

Do this for a total of 3 or 4 coats (or more, if you are that patient). Always let it cure overnight and sand everything as smooth as possible with 320 grit between coats. Personally I just stop when it looks good. 3 coats, even thin coats, is great protection and generally looks very nice, depending on how good you were with the brush.

Also, if you have the option, buy Satin sheen for your final topcoat (or for all coats). The satin sheen is much more warm looking, less plastic looking, and also doesn't show scratches, runs, flaws, and dust pips like gloss will.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Matt