PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to get tools

pondy
10/30/2009, 08:34 PM
I am looking for some nice quality fragging tools. I would like some larger tools as well as smaller. I thing the only way to go is stainless steel aslo. If you know of a place please let me know. Thanks

9supratt4
10/30/2009, 08:41 PM
Best would be titanium tools....does anyone have those??

pondy
10/30/2009, 09:34 PM
Not sure hopefully some one else will chime in. Thanks for your post

Mako
10/31/2009, 04:24 PM
I pick up most of my surgical stainless items on flea bay. Usually a good selection of different size bone cutters, forceps, and the like can be had for a decent price.

pondy
10/31/2009, 08:55 PM
cool thanks Ill have to hvae a look

Los
11/11/2009, 05:43 AM
The best fragging tool I've got, by far, is the following from AquaCave: 7" Reef Precision Coral Clippers. It's $25, but it can cut through pretty much anything and it's good for precision work too. You'll also need some high quality glue. My favorite is IC-Gel. That stuff stays in place and is easier to work with than other glues I've used.

Hope that helps.

pondy
11/11/2009, 05:17 PM
Awesome. Thanks that is the glue I use and it is bar none the best I have ever used. I will hvae to look into the clippers. Sound like good ones. How long have you had them and are they staying sharp?

Los
11/11/2009, 07:18 PM
I bought them on 1/18/09, so they are about 11 months old (yes, I'm a reef-nerd and I log *everything*). They remain extremely sharp (I just did some fragging today) and with zero rust. There is another model they sell as well, which is the "6.5" Reef HD Coral Clippers by Taam" for $25. I bought both at the same time. The latter is a good pair of clippers if you have REALLY big stags to cut, but frankly I never use them. The 7" ones have worked just fine for anything reasonably sized and they are much more effective at smaller cuts.

BTW, I use those same 7" shears to cut pretty much everything, including live rock and frag plugs. Those suckers are really handy and really effective. You may want to check out the following thread and, please, add to it if you have any especially handy tools or gadgets:

List the best accessories, tools, gadgets, etc. you use for your tank!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1709135

dahenley
11/11/2009, 09:53 PM
i guess because im just a hobbiest, i use cheap clippers.
here is what i use.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10794986

i think these are the ones. they say on them SS and because they are cheap (i dont use them very often) i dont have to worry about possible rust or anything going wrong. not to mention there is another pair just down the road.
its the only coral cutting tool that i have.
i hope this helps

MoNsTeR_LoVeR
11/11/2009, 11:21 PM
with this hobby sometimes you need to buy the cheap stuff to save some moeny for something better... plus it seems that clippers are the same just different name and they sell for way more..

dustinlclarke
11/25/2009, 09:51 AM
be warned about stainless it does rust i work in a food plant in maint. and can promise you stainless will eventually rust be sure to wash them after each use to help prolong their life

glnkng
11/25/2009, 05:28 PM
I just ordered some from www.home-reef.com. good pricing. Let you know how the products are. They are all stainless steel.

pondy
11/25/2009, 10:10 PM
Sounds good thanks