PDA

View Full Version : Ways to endure QT...

jenjen
10/31/2009, 12:54 PM
Let's face it... we're all impatient creatures, and a 4 week QT isn't any fun! :bounce3: We want our new little fishy in our DT asap, and we're willing to believe almost anyone who will tell us it's fine to shorten the QT period or skip it all together. Aren't we??? Besides, if we QT one fish at a time for 4 weeks each... it'll take MONTHS to get them all in there!

If you're genuinely on the fence about whether or not QT is 'required', read this and make up your own mind:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-10/sp/feature/index.php

If you're like me, you reluctantly agree that QT is a must, but have a heck of a time waiting out those 4 weeks...

Those of you who honestly do a min 4 week QT for every single fish you add, please share with us some tips for learning to LOVE the QT process!!!

I'll start. While I don't love the QT period, I have had the great pleasure of ripping an entire tank down to get all my fish out to treat for ich. Since I don't wish to do that again (nor does my husband), I QT every new addition. My system is simple. I keep a clipboard by my QT tank. At the top I put the date the fish was added. Every day I write down an observation about the fish - how it looks, what it ate, etc. And my husband is the one who gives the 'ok' to actually add the fish to the DT. His criteria is that it must have been at least 4 weeks, and there may not be anything questionable on the list. Still not fun, but it works. :D

So come on all you 4-week-QT'ers... share the tricks you use to endure (hem... 'love') that 4 weeks! And please don't tell us to just be patient. We aren't. :rollface:

billsreef
10/31/2009, 01:04 PM
Simple, it's the knowledge that the QT process is far easier than dealing with sick fish in the display tank :)

Ruskin
10/31/2009, 02:02 PM
I think QT gives you a great opportunity to become acquainted with your new arrival. The first week I try to not peek in too often, only enough to change the water once and feed. Then after that I usually just sit and watch my new guy/gal for anything to be concerned about and to get them used to everything I feed my tank.

After that its picture time until the other 2 weeks are up. Probably not something that's exciting to everyone but I dont mind the 4 week wait. It doesnt bother me as I still own the fish and enjoy looking at them in my QT or Display.

reefergeorge
10/31/2009, 03:51 PM
I don't have any problem waiting 6 weeks. Its much better than having an empty dt for six weeks.
I keep the qt in an empty bedroom, and check in once after work to check the water, and feed.
Most of my fish came from tanks I had before, and the original two clowns started in my nano cube with no QT. So I have never had to have multiple fish waiting to enter the dt, and always had at least those two clowns in the dt to watch.

Indymann99
10/31/2009, 06:20 PM
just try to catch fish in a DT (to medicate) and the 4 weeks will seem like nothing..

:strange:

proper QT and careful fish selection.. it took me 1 year to get to 6 fish.