PDA

View Full Version : The Best Reef-Aquarium Book, Hands Down?

SkyReef
10/31/2009, 04:55 PM
What is the best reef-aquarium book, in your opinion? My friend recommended the book, The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 2: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates, by authors J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung.

My aquarium-savvy friend swears by this book. I want to get a great book that lays it all out: aquarium set-up, plumbing fixtures, diagrams, and water-quality / aquatic-life theory. He says this book is the aquarist's "bible," a must-have, and the most authoritative source on reef-keeping. Is he correct? Or Is there a better book?

Please share your recommendations.

Thanks!:rollface:

roblack
10/31/2009, 05:41 PM
I like my collection of Corals of the World by Veron, but that is actually 3 books.

ser_renely
10/31/2009, 05:43 PM
expensive, but probably invaluable.

BetterMetalReef
10/31/2009, 05:58 PM
Personally I would go with The Reef Aquarium, vol 3. It's more up to date than vol 2 (although I'm only in the process of reading vol 2 and haven't finished it yet), but The Reef Aquarium series are great books. By far the better, more technical and in-depth books out there I've read / can find.

As a side note another book I'd recommend (although not a 'whole set-up' book) is Reef Invertebrates by Calfo and Fenner. No other book out there even comes close to the depth of info the authors have in there, and they also go deep into macro-algae, which most don't even touch. Another great book.

My .02, these two books are my bibles for the reef. The Reef Fish series are also amazing. Happy reefing!