PDA

View Full Version : All my fish died and I don't know why

mockranouse
10/31/2009, 04:20 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and it isn't a pleasant one. I came home this morning and all my fish were dead and most of my snails were dead. My shrimp is still alive and seems fine. My tanks been up for about two months and my fish have been in there for about 3 weeks and all my parameters are normal. I started treating for ich a few days ago with kordon ich attack and the day after the first dose the white spots were gone, but all my fish started acting really strange. They weren't swimming around too much and they weren't really eating at all. Also, I just got my sump up and running yesterday with my protein skimmer in it. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Right now my only guess's are the ich and possibly the silicone I used for the baffles in the sump. I didn't use the stuff that's for aquarium use, but I got the same stuff that a bunch of other people said they've used with no problems. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

romsoccer12
10/31/2009, 04:51 PM
params? tank size? what fish? and did you treat the DT with kordon ich attacK?

mockranouse
10/31/2009, 05:18 PM
specific gravity - 1.025
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - <10
pH - 8.2
Alk - 3.0
calcium - 400

The tank size is 45 with a 15 gallon sump and the fish were two three stripe damsels and one jewel damsel and I have one coral banded shrimp and I did treat the DT with the ich attack.

romsoccer12
10/31/2009, 05:25 PM
maybe you did the dose wrong? and now im pretty sure your CBS will die and all other inverts added will die because of the ich attack. did you aclimate the fish? and did you purchase the fish knowing they had ich?

mockranouse
10/31/2009, 05:36 PM
I'm pretty sure I dosed properly and i used the ich attack that is supposed to be reef and invert safe, I did not know the fish had ich and I did acclimate them, but I did not quarantine them. All the fish seemed normal for the first two weeks, they were eating fine and swimming around just fine

swannyson7
10/31/2009, 05:39 PM
Alot of the ich treatments that are supposedly "reef safe" aren't as harmless as they like to claim. My guess would be a problem with the ick attack, but tell us more about the sump. Was it new? Did you clean it out? If so, with what?

username in use
10/31/2009, 06:02 PM
maybe the ich attack killed the snails, and the ammonia spike killed the fish.

mockranouse
10/31/2009, 06:16 PM
the sump was an old tank that I had as a freshwater tank a long time ago and I just cleaned it with hot water and an algae scraper.

koranAngel
10/31/2009, 06:40 PM
sorry to hear ur lost
i doubt the ich attack would wipe out the whole tank over night

problem def sits with sump or skimmer did u wash and run the skimmer?
could be new skimmer oils that killed all, happened to me when i first started (oils from canister)

was the sump treated b4 with copper??
the silicone u mentioned could play a role as well despite what ppl say i always carry aqua grade silico

baldomero
10/31/2009, 07:30 PM
wow and im surprised to hear the damsels died my damsels lived through a vodka overdose with no prob.

jbird69
10/31/2009, 07:49 PM
I would blame the ich treatment simply by your observation of fish behaving strangely immediately after treatment. How many snails died? Username has an interesting theory.

tkeracer619
10/31/2009, 09:31 PM
There would not be enough copper left over in the sump to do any damage to the tank if it ever was treated..

If you used silicone 1 with no mold inhibitors that is fine. Silicone 2 might or might not be a problem.

Don't dose your tank with any medication ever. Take the fish out and treat them in a qt with a medication that is proven. There is NO proven reef safe ich treatment. Copper and hypo are the two most approved methods, neither can be used in a display.

Sorry for your losses. At least you will be able to recover and learn from it. I know it sounds rough but I would leave the tank fishless for 2 months to give the ich that is still alive in the tank time to die. QT your fish or at least buy your fish from a LFS that QTs

dirtStar
10/31/2009, 09:46 PM
Would it have been possible for the Temp to jump high while you werent around?

Or low for that matter

SAZAMA
10/31/2009, 10:24 PM
did you let the silicone cure properly ?????????

MrineLfRlz
11/01/2009, 12:08 AM
if his fish died the morning after he set up his sump then has anybody ruled out the pipe glue and cleaner for the drains and returns to the DT?
what plumbing did you use for your sump setup?

mockranouse
11/01/2009, 09:15 AM
I just used PVC for the plumbing. If it was the pipe glue or the silicone what would be the best thing to do? If I just wait a couple months before I put anything else in there do you think anything bad in the water would be gone by then?

Rae C.
11/01/2009, 10:37 AM
I lost all my fish overnight this summer. It is a shock. I feel for you.

The best guess we could come up with for our loss was a massive pH drop after I turned on the fuge after it had been off a couple of days. The fish were fine that night, then all dead the next morning. The pH has just below normal when I tested the water after they died. But the tank could have normalized after 10 hours of circulation.

Was there stagnant water in the skimmer or pump?

noahm
11/01/2009, 11:22 AM
if his fish died the morning after he set up his sump then has anybody ruled out the pipe glue and cleaner for the drains and returns to the DT?
what plumbing did you use for your sump setup?

You can pretty much drip pipe glue into a tank w/o problems. It will flash cure as the solvent part separates from the glue. Same with silicone. It will skin over almost instantly under water and the solvent part will generally only affect very sensitive critters. If it had cured for a few hours, it shouldn't have done anything. Unless the fish physically eat uncured silicone or pipe glue, it is not likely to cause any problems except possibly in a nano.

Sounds like something with the ich treatment, but by chance did anything in the sump/skimmer get cleaned with soap, even a long time ago? Anything on your hands during the process?

mockranouse
11/01/2009, 03:03 PM
rae c,
there was stagnant water in the sump because when I was first setting it up I had it all running and there was a leak and I had to take it all apart and I ended up breaking the bulkhead on the overflow and had to wait a few days to get a new one, I didn't think that water would go bad after a few days because I had it covered. what did you do when this happened to you?

noahm,
I never would have cleaned the sump with soap because I used it as a freshwater tank a long time ago and I always rinse my hands really well with warm water if I'm going to be sticking them in the tank

plateboy3293
11/01/2009, 03:19 PM
Did you use mildew resistant silicone on the sump? If so that is most likely the reason.

mockranouse
11/01/2009, 07:11 PM
It says it prevents water from leaking through and causing mildew, but it doesn't specifically say mildew resistant

plateboy3293
11/02/2009, 09:02 AM
You can only use the non mildew resistant silicone such as the one in the link
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35166-72643-LW012X4&lpage=none

The other ones I believe emit a chemical to prevent mildew due to the water. That could be what killed your tank

wooden_reefer
11/02/2009, 10:09 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post and it isn't a pleasant one. I came home this morning and all my fish were dead and most of my snails were dead. My shrimp is still alive and seems fine. My tanks been up for about two months and my fish have been in there for about 3 weeks and all my parameters are normal. I started treating for ich a few days ago with kordon ich attack and the day after the first dose the white spots were gone, but all my fish started acting really strange. They weren't swimming around too much and they weren't really eating at all. Also, I just got my sump up and running yesterday with my protein skimmer in it. Does anyone have any idea what could have caused this? Right now my only guess's are the ich and possibly the silicone I used for the baffles in the sump. I didn't use the stuff that's for aquarium use, but I got the same stuff that a bunch of other people said they've used with no problems. Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Can be either the ich attack or diseases other than ich.

Is there any sign of bacterial infection?

Damsels are hardier than most fish.

shroutk3
11/02/2009, 01:40 PM
I myself would suspect the stagnant sump. There have been known instances when a sump or skimmer that is off line for a while with water in it being turned back on, and killing inhabitants as per Rae C. Has to do with either of two things: PH drop of the water due to lack of circulation during down time, or bacterial bloom in stagnant water.

Toly
11/02/2009, 03:12 PM
Did u sniff the water in the sump? If it smelled anything like rotten eggs that would be a good reason to ditch it...

Madratter
11/02/2009, 04:04 PM
My guess is that something was borderline (perhaps oxygen) and when the tank was treated, it put it over the edge. Perhaps you stopped using a protein skimmer to prevent skimming the Ick Attack out and the resultant drop in oxygen killed the fish.

mockranouse
11/02/2009, 09:33 PM
I've since disconnected the sump from the DT and plan on getting a whole new setup for the sump and I will be using aquarium safe silicone for the baffles.

Should I still wait 4 to 6 weeks before adding any livestock to ensure that any sign of ich in the DT is dead?

Also, my coral banded shrimp, blue legged hermit, and nerite snail are still alive and appear to be doing just fine.

Rae C.
11/04/2009, 02:48 PM
Were you able to collect the fish? I ran the skimmer heavy and did constant water changes for two weeks after they died. i could only find 3 of 6 fish.

I also waited 8 weeks before buying new fish, just to ensure that the DT water parameters were stable.

All the inverts did fine through all this. Yours will probably be fine as well.

mockranouse
11/05/2009, 12:24 AM
I was eventually able to collect all the fish. When I first saw what happened I could only find two and then the next day I came home and the third was right on the front of the glass. Did your snails survive through this? All mine died and I'm not sure if it was from the ich attack or what I'm now assuming was a pH drop from the stagnant water in the sump.

Rae C.
11/05/2009, 01:43 PM
I thought all medications for ich were toxic to inverts - snails, shrimp, etc.

All my snails survived. The pH drop didn't stay down long enough to do them permanent harm. The urchin even survived.