PDA

View Full Version : Eshopps skimmer problems - PLEASE HELP!

DC_40gallon
10/31/2009, 10:11 PM
All was well with my Eshopps HOB skimmer. I cleaned it out this evening (the cup) as I do every 3 days and less than an hour walking about into the bedroom I heard trickling of water and it was the overflow hose. The skimmer was pumping clear bubbles straight up the shoot and into the cup and the cup had overflowed.

I checked the hoses and none crimped, I checked the foam piece that goes over the re-entry back into the tank (because sometimes I've found that if it is too tight secured then it can cause the overflow that I'm now having). I then disassembled it and cleaned it out real good because it's been since this summer that I bought it new so I figured maybe it got clogged somehow. Gave it a good cleaning and checked everything for clogs and nothing.

So I put it all back together and it is still doing the same thing. It acts like the pump is giving too much power to the skimmer tower and causing it to surge up too far and overflow into the cup.

All of this is even with the guide valve wide open for least amount pressure on the main skimmer tank.

It's now shut off until you guys can help!!

DC_40gallon
10/31/2009, 11:00 PM
Well I just tried plugging it back in and doing that several times and nothing, still instantly too powerful and just takes the bubbles straight into the neck and up the collection cup and into the collection cup. It's not fast like a volcano but it builds up and slowly but fairly quickly builds up goes threw the neck and into the collection cup.

tkeracer619
10/31/2009, 11:09 PM
Make sure the venturi that sucks air in is clear all the way through. Remove the pump and make sure there are no debris in the pinwheel. Look carefully for snails in the plumbing. Do a complete take apart and put it back together.

Could there be anything on your hands that would make the skimmer freak out?

DC_40gallon
10/31/2009, 11:13 PM
Hmmmmm - now that you mention it, we added 2 fish tonight from our LFS and this happened an hour later.

I did an entire take apart and everything cleaned out well and I turned on the pump and watched the wheel run freely before I put it back together.

tkeracer619
10/31/2009, 11:16 PM
Just leave it off for a few hours or even overnight if it needs it. Did any of the water from the LFS make it into the tank? IF so I bet there was some mild stuff in the water that would make your skimmer do that.

Did you use any de-chlorinating additives when cleaning the skimmer?

Running carbon might help if your already not.

DC_40gallon
10/31/2009, 11:27 PM
Unfortunately some of the water from the LFS did get into the tank. About a cup maybe cup and a half worth. Someone else put the fish in and made the mistake. No I didn't use any de-chorinating additives, just warm tap water.

I've also got a 330 gph Tetra advanced powerfilter that is running both sides with new carbon filters that I put in on Thursday.

tkeracer619
11/01/2009, 12:49 AM
Yeah, they probably have something in the water that makes skimmers freak out. Should be fine by morning.