PDA

View Full Version : B-Ionic

frugalreefer
10/31/2009, 10:31 PM
Should I dose in the morning, noon or night?

HighlandReefer
11/01/2009, 06:23 AM
When using the standard B-ionic which does not have much effect on your tank pH, I don't believe it will make much difference, if any, what time you dose.

If you are using one of their alk. formulations which does increase pH, perhaps dosing at night to increase your nightly low pH might be best.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/01/2009, 07:54 AM
FWIW, the standard B-ionic does boost pH, so in that sense I'd recommend adding it in the AM. Or at least the alk part. The calcium part can be added any time. :)

stealle
11/01/2009, 08:27 AM
... perhaps dosing at night to increase your nightly low pH might be best.

... I'd recommend adding it in the AM. Or at least the alk part. :)

You guys have contradicting advise. Seems that it makes sense to add it during the night to keep pH from taking as large of a dip. Maybe even splitting up the nightly dose and giving several doses at night would be better (of course you would need a doser for that). If you give it first thing in the morning you will give the pH a boost then the lights turn on and you get another boost. Seems like you would cause the biggest swing by giving it in the morning. Can you please explain Randy?:confused:

flamron
11/01/2009, 08:32 AM
If you are dosing large amounts - I would break it up into several doses, or get a dosing pump.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/01/2009, 08:43 AM
You guys have contradicting advise.

Early AM is the lowest pH part of the day/night. If you boost pH from 7.9 to 8.1, that's a good thing, IMO. If you are up in the middle of the night, or use a timed doser, late night is a fine time. Otherwise, when you get up is good. :)

HighlandReefer
11/01/2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks Randy for the input about B-ionic. I thought there standard alk. formula contained only baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), which has little effect on pH. Formulas with baked baking soda (Sodium Carbonate or Soda Ash) will increase your pH and are best used as Randy has stated. Sorry for any confusion I have caused. :(

FWIW, it is much cheaper to use Randy's Do-it-yourself alk and calcium supplements and you get an extra advantage of knowing exactly what you are using. ;)

frugalreefer
11/01/2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for input fellas. I've heard about Randy's two part, but havent' done a thorough search. I'll have to do.

HighlandReefer
11/01/2009, 10:23 AM
An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

If you have problems finding some of the ingredients suggested by Randy for mixing the forumulas, you can purchase these in bulk at much cheaper prices from somewhere like www.bulkreefsupply.com.

danrobberg
11/01/2009, 04:20 PM
a question related to bionic, i only have to dose the alk part daily 30 ml. i only have to dose the cal part maybe once a week if that. i use oceanic salt mix. does that sound normal and is that ok?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/01/2009, 04:43 PM
Ocean does have very high calcium, so when using it for water changes you may not need the calcium part much. :)

danrobberg
11/01/2009, 04:45 PM
what kind of salt mix do you use randy? have you tried dd h20cean? if i switched to that would i not have to dose alk as much?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/01/2009, 05:37 PM
I use Instant Ocean.

I use limewater for dosing calcium and alkalinity, except to boost the salt mix if needed, with DIY magnesium or calcium supplements. :)

LPS_Blasto
11/01/2009, 08:50 PM
So I have a new frag tank thats got low pH. It's a 29g bare bottom with a good size sump and refugium. Actually the combined volume of the sump and fuge is 40g. 20g sump and 20g fuge. I have a DSB (6 inches deep) in the refugium with well cured live rock and a big hunk of cheato.

The pH is testing out 7.8 or maybe 7.6 I tried B-Ionic and it raised the pH for about an hour. Then it's back down again. I'm a newbie to water chemistry problems. Never had any problems before. Never had to dose or supplement anything before. Just regular water changes.

So what can I do? I need/want the pH up around 8.3 - 8.4 if at all possible.

I am aware of co2 problems. I do not think this is the problem. There's a lot of plumbing and overflows. There's a lot of water dumping out of pipes and churning the water like crazy, so it's got to be well oxygenated.

Do I start dosing kalk? Please help.

luther1200
11/01/2009, 08:52 PM
The Alk part does boost pH, I dose the Alk part at 3AM and 6AM to keep pH up. I dose the Ca part at 3PM and 6PM just to spread it out.

LPS_Blasto
11/01/2009, 09:14 PM
so my dkh is 11.2 and my alk is about 4.00

pH is still 7.6

Randy is right - these 2-part buffers raise alk, but don't really raise pH.

So what should I do now?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/02/2009, 04:59 AM
I am aware of co2 problems. I do not think this is the problem.

If alkalinity is normal, and pH is low CO2 is ALWAYS the problem. Seawater pH is determined by CO2 and alkalinity. You may just have elevated CO2 in your home air. Fresher air or limewater are good options. Limewater has about twice the pH raising effect of sodium carbonate (a typical high pH two part) per unit of alkalinity added.

This has more on how to distinguish if your home air has the excess CO2, or just your tank:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm

LPS_Blasto
11/03/2009, 03:24 AM
Thank you.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/03/2009, 05:42 AM
You're welcome.

Good luck. :)