PDA

View Full Version : Water Flow Dynamics

Santini
11/01/2009, 11:18 AM
The water level in my Solana is dangerously close to the top... about 1/4 inch from the rim (regardless of the water quantity in the system). If I take water out, or simply allow it to evaporate, the water level in the return pump chamber lowers proportionally, but water in the display maintains its level near the top of the glass.

Can I regulate this? How?

The current situation adversely affects the tank significantly in two ways: 1) When the water level is higher than the top of the slots of the overflow chamber, any film or debris floating on top of the water can't be sucked into the filtration system. 2) I'd like to direct some of the return pump output to create a turbulence on the surface to better aerate the water, but it would also cause a splash or spillover effect.

Help! Please!

thedoctor06
11/01/2009, 01:06 PM
I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but if I read this right...just scoop some water out pof the display until it's where you want it.

m_wonnacott
11/01/2009, 01:08 PM
ok ya you can only change this by changing the hight of your overflow box in the display it regulates your water level in the tank

Shane Hoffman
11/01/2009, 01:21 PM
It sounds like you may need to restrict the out flow of your return pump a bit. Your return pump is pushing more water than your overflow can handle. You can put a vlave on it and crank it down. Or if its soft tubing, in a pinch you can throw a pair of vice grips on line on outside of return pump. Just slowly adjust the vice grips to squeeze the hose to restrict some of the flow. Ive done this before....dont pinch the hose til it creases. You just want to slowy squeeze it.

Playa-1
11/01/2009, 01:32 PM
I think you might want to check out the Nano tank forum. You may find information there that is more specific to your situation.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=75

Santini
11/01/2009, 07:40 PM
That doesn't work. Changing the quantity of water only lowers the level in the sump pump chamber. The display tank is a constant.

Santini
11/01/2009, 07:47 PM
It sounds like you may need to restrict the out flow of your return pump a bit.

I thought about that, or, along those lines, perhaps I might drill or cut out portions of the grill that course-filters water entering the overflow box. Both methods effectively change the input-output ratio, theoretically lowering the display side water level. I think I'll try your (non-destructive) method first. Thanks for the tip.

EleganceMan
11/01/2009, 07:56 PM
ok ya you can only change this by changing the hight of your overflow box in the display it regulates your water level in the tank

+1

tkeracer619
11/01/2009, 07:56 PM
Reduce the pump on the output not intake. It will work.

ser_renely
11/01/2009, 07:59 PM
should be an easy fix

UWUALineman
11/01/2009, 09:28 PM
Do you have some type of filter/pad that is in the overflow area? I have found that if I leave my poly filter in there for a few days that it becomes clogged and I am left with a dangerously high water level that will overflow if not addressed. I also believe in the Solanas the return pump has a dial which you can throttle back the output of the pump. Stressing I think on that one, as I have not messed with mine. Its not a very big pump so I doubt it is your problem.
As for agitating the surface, place a small poweread near the suface. The return will not do much for ya IME. The water level in the return chamber should be about level where the stock ATO bottles sit (little ledge there) and this will also cut down on noise in the back chambers. Basics I am sure you are well aware of, just a reminder. Good luck.

Nickjr000
11/01/2009, 09:32 PM
Yeah cut back on the return gph

DPinSD
11/01/2009, 11:47 PM
+ 1 on the filter pad behind the overflow. The return pump is sized right for the Solana . Something is restricting flow before the return pump.

Santini
11/08/2009, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I carved out some of the slats on the intake grill with a dremel, essentially increasing the flow from the display section to the sump section. I did not reduce the return pump output, but the net result was indeed an increase in the input to output ratio, which ultimately achieved the desired effect, lowering the water level in the main display section by about a quarter inch.