PDA

View Full Version : nova extreme lighting

55galfishtank
11/01/2009, 02:42 PM
i have a 55 gallon fish only tank with lots of live rock and thick sand bed it has a protein skimmer and a emperor 400 filter also two pumps a koralia 3 and a maxi jet looka like and a nova extreme light system with one daylight lamp and a blue actinic light my question is there a certain bulbs i can buy for this light system to really make my tank look nice or should i upgrade the whole lighting system.

davocean
11/01/2009, 03:21 PM
[welcome]
Bulb color choice is such a personal pref, but there are definitely better choices than stock bulbs.
I really like those figi purples, maybe that a a nice daylight.
I'd also ditch the canister, or at least remove media and just push water.

redfishsc
11/01/2009, 04:11 PM
First, the cheapest thing that will help you is the period key. I have a very hard time reading your post. I can't tell where one thought ends and the other begins.

Now, to answer your question, I have a 4X24 Nova Extreme. The bulbs that come with it are so-so.

The blue bulbs they come with look a lot like the beloved ATI Blue Plus. The Current USA bulb doesn't put out quite as much light (measured via a PAR meter) as the ATI Blue Plus but it looks just as good IMO.

But, the 10,000K bulb that comes with the Current is just pitifully ugly in my opinion. Very yellow and harsh.

I'd recommend you remove it and use, instead, an ATI Aquablue Special 12,000K. It has more blue to it, but a LOT LOT LOT less yellow. Also, this is one of the highest PAR producing bulbs out there.

55galfishtank
11/01/2009, 05:23 PM
Sorry about that guys, ill try this again. What i meant is that the lighting, is a twin bulb unit. Consisting of a daylight, and a actinic blue. They are both stock bulbs and i am due to change them out. So i was needing a little advice. Thanks redfishsc for pointing that out. What your saying is an ATI Aquablue Special 12,000k for the blue, and what for the daylight bulb? Davocean you tell me to ditch the canister why is that? Are hangon filters not that great, or just the model and brand that i have.

jmski333
11/19/2009, 12:08 PM
when it comes to canister filters your probably have the best one. Davocean most likely said to ditch it because sumps seem to be superior when it comes to salt water filtration. Im pretty sure aquablue special is your daylight bulb. 14000k is when is starts to get more blue. 10000k is white and >10000k is yellowish.

brokereefer617
11/19/2009, 01:01 PM
i have a nove extreme pro 6x39w

changed out all the bulbs to.....

2x ati blue plus
2x aquablue special
and 2 uvl aquasun

you def want to change out the currents bulbs in there, they are terrible.