PDA

View Full Version : Help please, mandarin swim blader trouble.

Fingers68
11/01/2009, 04:02 PM
My female mandarin went missing 2 weeks ago, as she was thin I presumed dead and the scavengers got the carcase.

However she turns up on top of the wear grid in 1 inch of water ALIVIE!

I have put her in the sump as she is unable to submerge so I guess she has swim bladder trouble. I don't know if this is what made her go over the wear in the first place?

But for now she is alive, how I dont know, amazing really but can I help her in any way?

am3gross
11/01/2009, 04:10 PM
i wish i could help... keep us posted on what happens

Sk8r
11/01/2009, 04:20 PM
I'd say let her alone: Keep other fish from picking on her, and if you have (or can create) a sump/fuge with cheato and pods, you might put her in there, but otherwise just cross your fingers. Marine fish swim bladders are not as iffy as freshwater, ime, since upside down and sideways don't bother marine fish that much. Mostly she needs to eat and hope to get her gut straightened out.

Fingers68
11/02/2009, 03:02 AM
Shes still alive this morning, I have tried to offer food via a shallow tray so she does not have to move far to get to it. She is used to live pods and is not interested, nor does she seem to be trying to hunt for pods.

I fear its all to late, if shes not trying to feed!

Fingers68
11/04/2009, 04:56 AM
She is still alive, and whilst there is no sign of her feeding her self and is still stuck to the side and top of the tank, she seems a little less buoyant. I have taken to force feeding, scooping her into a shallow tray then filling it with a good mix of frozen/dry foods. When the food is stuck in her face she is taking it in so at least she is getting some food, I will continue this I never say never and could not kill it, that's not my decision to make.

magikfly
11/04/2009, 05:02 AM
Swim bladder trouble is almost always related to bacterial infection.
You might want to isolate and apply a broad spectrum antibiotic.

dirtStar
11/04/2009, 07:33 AM
Hope to hear good news soon!

Take care of the little fishy.

am3gross
11/04/2009, 08:30 AM
i am glad she os still going.... maybe put her in a shallow container and shake some of your algae in there to get some pods out and maybe she willl start to eat that again....

Fingers68
11/04/2009, 10:08 AM
Antibiotics for fish is apparently not easy to come by in the UK my LFS say.

Do you think she might pull round without this?