PDA

View Full Version : live rock with gha?????

mucsles916
11/01/2009, 09:12 PM
:fish1:i just bought about 100 ponds of live rock from a frend and it has gha. i put iy in a large container with water from my tank , and covered it so it has no light. my question is.. how long does it have to stay in contaner untill i can put it in my tank???:fish1:

thedoctor06
11/01/2009, 09:32 PM
Until it totally dies off and your nutrient levels fall to 0. You also need to make sure you're topping off evaporated water, and skimming if you can. Heat will help to speed up the process as well

mucsles916
11/01/2009, 09:42 PM
any sugs. on skimm=ing when its in a garbage can?

Aquarist007
11/01/2009, 09:47 PM
:fish1:i just bought about 100 ponds of live rock from a frend and it has gha. i put iy in a large container with water from my tank , and covered it so it has no light. my question is.. how long does it have to stay in contaner untill i can put it in my tank???:fish1:

are you curing/cyling the live rock or trying to get rid of the hair algae.

If trying to get rid of the hair algae then you might want to consider scrubbing off the rock in a separate container of tank water. My concern here is without the lights on you will lose the corraline algae on it. I would rather see the rock purple up then the realestate be taken up my hair algae or brown bryopsis.

mucsles916
11/01/2009, 09:51 PM
ya just trying to get rid of gha. rock has been in a reef tank 4 a while. so just scubb the gha off and its ready for tank??

Aquarist007
11/01/2009, 10:06 PM
ya just trying to get rid of gha. rock has been in a reef tank 4 a while. so just scubb the gha off and its ready for tank??

if it has come from one tank and gone directly into your tank or pail of salt water with little exposure to the air or dryout then it should be fine. If you are not quite sure then add it slowly---10 lbs a week

Here is a case where I did the same thing I suggested above
http://www.scottsaquariumservices.ca/betterbusinessbooks.htm