PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon water bottle, Kalk safe?

BigRedSpecial
11/02/2009, 11:18 AM
Has anyone used the typical 5 gallon water cooler jug to hold kalk water? I've tried various waterbottles before, and ime some types of plastic react with the kalk to become incredible brittle, to the point where I've had bottles spontaneously crack open while sitting on the floor, spilling gallons of kalk.

I'm guessing these bottles are fine, but I want to be sure before I dump 5g of water on my carpet.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/02/2009, 11:44 AM
Polycarbonate is an unsuitable material for limewater, and many water bottles are polycarbonate.

Check the recycle code and avoid 7.

You can use recycle codes 2, 4, 5 and 6 OK. :)

BigRedSpecial
11/02/2009, 12:02 PM
HA! Guess what I have. Good thing I asked!

As an aside, I always get a kick out of the use of the recycling sign for the plastic code. I have an engineering diploma so I know what it's all about, but I've heard people claim things like "this was recycled 7 times!".

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/02/2009, 01:35 PM
:lol:

Happy Reefing. :)

stevedola
11/02/2009, 01:49 PM
will the kalk water release toxins from the bottle?

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/02/2009, 02:01 PM
The concern with polycarbonate is that the high pH of limewater hydrolyzes the chemical linkages in the polymer itself. That may release some small organics into the water, but most concerning, it simply degrades the bottles to the point where they crack. Many people have experienced that before they knew to avoid polycarbonate. :)