PDA

View Full Version : Why hasn't this been done?

dasstheboss
11/02/2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe I am missing something but this kind of pool seems like a very simple aquarium to keep a shark. I dont mean the small bamboo or the big great whites, but those sharks in the middle like reef sharks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5693283

You can add a large skimmer to it and just add live rock and sand. Is there something preventing this other than size considerations. If there is nothing wrong with it in terms of reliability, I would keep it in the basement of my house and just have a large dehumidifier and all the necessary equipment for it.

LilRobb
11/02/2009, 03:20 PM
I am thinking that this material is very probe to breakin/rupturing...

Robb

karp12
11/02/2009, 03:20 PM
The saltwater will wreck this thing in no time.. Also a shark will rip the vinyl.

dasstheboss
11/02/2009, 03:31 PM
I thought it would be for weight also, but how can it hold like 5-6 adults and not break but rupture due to the addition of about 200lbs. of salt?

I understand the shark will rip it, would more peaceful fish work?

MrTuskfish
11/02/2009, 04:02 PM
Reef sharks are extremely difficult, even for large public aquariums to keep. I can't imagine trying to keep a very active, open ocean shark in such a tiny environment.

Mentat
11/02/2009, 05:53 PM
Why hasn't this been done?Because it won't work.

T-T-Trigger
11/02/2009, 06:00 PM
... and it probably has been done, just whoever did it hasn't 'fessed up yet! :D

dasstheboss
11/02/2009, 06:45 PM
ok I see. Would this environment be better suited for say a port jackson's shark?

marillion
11/02/2009, 07:20 PM
I would say a port would be better suited for a port jackson's shark. :)

Peace,

Chip

jjk_reef00
11/02/2009, 07:57 PM
They only recommend soft toys (inflatable) in those pools. I don't think live rock would do so well.

Xgame2k
11/02/2009, 10:11 PM
it is made of metal. sharks and metal don't mix

hotrodolds
11/02/2009, 10:32 PM
would probably be best off buying one of the prefabbed fiberglass pools. That i believe is gonna be my plan in the far off future if i have way to much money to burn on something stupid.

MrTuskfish
11/03/2009, 08:27 AM
Because it won't work.

Sometimes the direct answer is the best one.

saltyguy51
11/03/2009, 08:14 PM
You cant use a swimming pool with a liner thats made for swimming! They have a chemical built in them to help fight off algea and fungas even though it doesnt seem like it works and the fish will DIE in a matter of time. There was a guy just recently on another forum that did this with lemon sharks and some other marine fish and they were dying on him and he couldnt figure it out till he found this out, has since changed his set up.

MrTuskfish
11/04/2009, 09:25 AM
You cant use a swimming pool with a liner thats made for swimming! They have a chemical built in them to help fight off algea and fungas even though it doesnt seem like it works and the fish will DIE in a matter of time. There was a guy just recently on another forum that did this with lemon sharks and some other marine fish and they were dying on him and he couldnt figure it out till he found this out, has since changed his set up.
If someone can actually keep a lemon shark (long-term) in ANYTHING this size; I'm sure any major Public Aquarium would hire him/her instantly. The whole concept is so far from reality that I thought the OP was joking.

LisaD
11/04/2009, 10:14 AM
There are pools supplied by aquaculture companies that MAY be suitable. I know some of them are used for saltwater fish, but may not be able to handle rock, sand or sharks. Check out aquatic ecosystems for more research. The Walmart pool, definitely not...

intermision
02/03/2010, 10:45 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just had to show this.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/940/Instant-Fish-Tank/container/0

Crazy One
02/03/2010, 11:40 PM
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but I just had to show this.
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/940/Instant-Fish-Tank/container/0

That's Great !! If the fish don't make it tie it up and call for pickup.
You have got to be kidding me, I should call the idiot up that made that statement for the ad and I should tell him maybe we could throw him in there for awile and if he don't make it,,, well you know, tie it up and call for pickup.
Ignorant people shouldn't breed.

intermision
02/04/2010, 10:19 AM
That's Great !! If the fish don't make it tie it up and call for pickup.
You have got to be kidding me, I should call the idiot up that made that statement for the ad and I should tell him maybe we could throw him in there for awile and if he don't make it,,, well you know, tie it up and call for pickup.
Ignorant people shouldn't breed.

I think it was written in jest.

LisaD
02/05/2010, 02:26 AM
It was. :) I think I know the guy that wrote that ad copy. As I said in my earlier posts, there are liners and tank set-ups similar to the swimming pool that are used in aquaculture to raise fish. Several years ago, I visited an aquaculture facility at NC State University, where they had large tanks with liners to raise good sized striped bass.