PDA

View Full Version : Do you need a light when curing LR?

dawaterboy
11/02/2009, 05:12 PM
I'm about to start curing about 30# of LR and was wondering if I need a light on the rock?

Playa-1
11/02/2009, 05:21 PM
Um, Nah...
You can run a short daily light cycle if it will make you feel better but it's not necessary unless you have a hitchhiker or something in the tank that will survive the cycle and requires light. Chances are that the light will just promote algae growth during this period.

cjj14u
11/02/2009, 05:23 PM
No, you do not. Many feel it is preferable to not have any light in order to discourage nuisance algae once nitrates begin to climb....
I'm sure others will chime in....:wave:

DetroitCrow
11/02/2009, 05:51 PM
No, you do not. Many feel it is preferable to not have any light in order to discourage nuisance algae once nitrates begin to climb....
I'm sure others will chime in....:wave:

+1 just make sure you have the correct temp, say 75+ as it does req some heat to cure.

GTboosted
11/02/2009, 06:00 PM
Dont worry about a light. Its not needed. Just thrown in a heater and small powerhead and you're good to go.

hbuelta
11/03/2009, 12:55 AM
hi,

Lights not really needed, just maybe a short photoperiod with low intensity and a a bit biased towards actinic component. Low light condition promotes coralline algae grow and limits nuisance algae grow...just what you are looking for... ;-)

Hope this help