PDA

View Full Version : books????????????

juniorjose
11/02/2009, 08:46 PM
im new to the hobby so i was thinking that id better do some reading b4 i start my 30 gal tank and end up killing everything...
,,,,,does anyone know any good books that i can buy?....
,,,also were i can get it for cheap?....
,,i am looking to add corals to the tank:bounce2:

....how long will i have to wait for the water to cycle so i can starte adding soft corals and/or LPS????? is it a good idea to start with these?

Playa-1
11/02/2009, 09:34 PM
That's a great question and I'm glad you asked :)
Check out this link for some excellent reading material.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/tips/index.php

jhritz
11/02/2009, 09:39 PM
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner is a GREAT book to anyone new or old in this hobby. would highly reccomend.

you can find it at most book stores (if not instock it can usually be ordered), Ebay and Amazon.com also have it available.

DC_40gallon
11/02/2009, 09:54 PM
My two cents, if you have the tank then go ahead, put in your live sand, live rock and fill that sucker up with RO/DI water and turn on your skimmer and let that thing cycle while you are reading your books. You will want it to have a 4-6 week cycle period anyways so the longer wait the better in my opinion. Do 10% water changes weekly with RO/DI to keep things fresh and get you in the habit.

This will also give you something to watch as a reminder to your patience and treat while you read.

the lights, skimmer, live sand, live rock and powerheads - you will need these regardless so setting this up now won't kill anything! Plus if something does go wrong ( and with RO/DI water to fill the tank, do all water changes with, cured live rock with no algae on it, and new live sand -- you won't have any problems) then you can change whatever is necessary without worry to killing anything.

I hate to think you will read all this material (which you should, don't get me wrong!) and when your anxious and excited you then have to sit on your hands while you watch your tank do nothing by cycle while your mind is scrambling with all these great ideas from your readings and research flying through your head.

DC_40gallon
11/02/2009, 09:56 PM
Another great idea too is subscribing to a reef magazine you like!

Playa-1
11/02/2009, 10:39 PM
I think you should do the reading before you purchase a single piece of equipment. It will save you a small fortune.

juniorjose
11/03/2009, 09:56 PM
thanks for the help everyone....=)

muttley000
11/04/2009, 04:01 AM
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert M. Fenner is a GREAT book to anyone new or old in this hobby. would highly reccomend.

you can find it at most book stores (if not instock it can usually be ordered), Ebay and Amazon.com also have it available.

+1, the best of the books I own

TRichardson79
11/04/2009, 04:22 AM
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael S. Paletta is a good one also

dirtStar
11/04/2009, 05:48 AM
Books I just got by recommendation in the last few days:

Marine Aquarium (Mini Encyclopedia Series), Dick Mills

The Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish : Dick Mills, John H. Tullock

Natural Reef Aquariums : John H. Tullock

Got all three on ebay, 100% mint condition
All three shipped to my door in 3 days, for less than the cost of one new.
under $25 total(all three)

Mentat
11/04/2009, 09:28 AM
Posted a similar answer couple days ago so easy cut & paste job. IRT stores, I purchase books online (Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders). I just wait until they have sales or send me discount coupons (i.e. 20-40% of a single book).

"The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists" by Robert M. Fenner is probably the best investment available to get immersed into the SW aquarium hobby. Although I have not read it yet, some advanced aquarists are also recommending "The New Marine Aquarium: Step by Step Setup and Stocking Guide" by Michael D. Paletta et al. For helping decide on which fish and their compatibility to other livestock, "What Fish? A Buyers Guide to Marine Fish" by Tristan Lougher is very valuable for it's guidance on fish behavior and how others react to them.

Using the search function in this forum is invaluable to me, just take all info with a grain of salt, until you learn enough to id the good stuff. Finally, there are two great free magazines online, one you can get directly from this forum http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php and another one here: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/. Both have search engines that can answer most any question you can have. The most important piece of advice can give you is to have patience with your tank and enjoy the little things happening in it. Welcome to the hobby!