PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with ELOS magnesium test kit

EvMiBo
11/02/2009, 09:56 PM
Alright well I think I've dropped a couple hundred drops too many tonight :rolleyes:.

I'm trying to get an idea of where my magnesium is before I start to raise it to ~1350. I follow the instructions and everything seems to go alright until I get to the the "D" part where it's supposed to go from a pink/violet to a light blue. It only goes to a green color and this is well after the amount of drops I drop from A.. The first time I tested in the beginning on A it took 31 drops to go from red/orange to green and the second time it took 29 drops.. This seems pretty consistant, but I can't seem to get it "light blue" when dripping D. I realize my mag is probably low but it shouldn't be negative, right (x-y)? I went as far as 100 drops the first time and 50+ the second, maybe not the smartest idea but I wanted to see if it would turn light blue. What am I doing wrong? Can someone give me some tips or anything? I'm gunna lose it! :fun2:

Also, the kit did not come with the spoon. I had to get the elos spoon from my elos cal test kit (the one with .4 ml end and .15 end) to use the .15 ml end instructed for use for the mag test, thought that was kind of strange.

Runfrumu
11/02/2009, 10:28 PM
This may seem like a dumb question but did you dump, rinse and add 3ml of new tank water for parts b-d? I didnt do that my first time and messed up by adding b c and d on top of A so the color never changed either.

It should only take 4-6 drops usually of d to get the color change.

EvMiBo
11/02/2009, 10:34 PM
This may sound like a dumb response but yes, thats what I did (stacked everything on A).. :lol: I just wasted about half of my testkit because of that mistake.. :crazy1: does it really say to start over in the instructions (I'm not at home anymore)? geesh, fail. That's kind of embarressing.

btw- runfrumu thank you for the fast response. I guess this is all a learning process :)

Runfrumu
11/02/2009, 10:45 PM
I got lucky and only did it once. They dont seem to give you alot of reactant so it makes you sick to waste any on a thirty dollar test kit. The older version of the elos was easier, as it was only a 3 step and no rinsing and adding new water.

EvMiBo
11/02/2009, 10:53 PM
Ugh yeah tell me about it. I'll need a new mag test soon :rolleyes:.