PDA

View Full Version : Not a newby but I need help!

MarkD40
11/03/2009, 02:02 AM
Just got my Octopus 200 skimmer. A beautiful piece of equipment but the instructions are awful, basically assemble it and plug it in. I know this is probably a stupid question but I would rather ask than make a mistake. The pipe for the outlet pipes is a hard shiny plastic that fits together very smoothly and snugly. Should this be primed and glued like schedule 40 PVC? I know the adjusting pipe should not be glued. Will regular PVC cement work? The plastic seems harder and is shinier than schedule 40. There is no mention of gluing anything together in the instructions which is what gives me pause, help!

BADFISH909
11/03/2009, 02:08 AM
I dont think you need to glue anything. I have a reeflo external skimmer and had to put all the piping together with no glue. no leaks at all. never heard of a skimmer that you had to glue the piping.

hbuelta
11/03/2009, 04:30 AM
Hi,

I think no need to glue. Bear in mind that water in output pipes of skimmers do not have almost pressure at all and is just running water, so fitting the outlet part on place will be enough for it. I'm running an Aqua-Medic skimmer which I believe has similar outlet and even it fits a bit loose never spill a sinlge drop of water.

Hope this help

sra127
11/03/2009, 07:34 AM
i have the 150. dont glue them. need to be able to take apart to clean. the only things that i have seen are salt creep on the seams (of the gray pvc), but then again i have salt creep everywhere....

Whisperer
11/03/2009, 08:06 AM
Are you refering to the gray pipes that are used to adjust the height of the foam?

MarkD40
11/03/2009, 08:54 AM
Whisp,

No, the adjustrer pipe has a gasket around it to keep it is place when you raise and lower it. I am talking about the grey Tee and the outlet pipe. It scares me to have that much water moving through pipes on an external skimmer that are not held together with glue. If they came apart we are talking major flooding. I know the water passing through them is not under any pressure but still. Reassurance please!

Whisperer
11/03/2009, 09:00 AM
I have the 200 also but I have the in-sump model. Maybe a pic may help.

MarkD40
11/03/2009, 09:20 AM
No pic, but the water comes out the bottom of the skimmer into an elbow pointing up. Into the elbow is a short length of pipe that connects to a tee. The top of the Tee holds the adjuster pipe which has a gasket. The side of the tee gets a horizontal pipe that ejects the water into the sump. None of these lower fittings should be glued? I mean it really worries me that they might come apart and cause massive flooding.

nebraskareef
11/03/2009, 10:10 AM
There a many "octopus 200" skimmers. Which exactly do you have - are you sure it's an external model?

MarkD40
11/03/2009, 11:15 AM
Yes, it is a external, recirculating skimmer new 2009 model. If it was internal I would not care if a fitting came loose.

lordofthereef
11/03/2009, 01:19 PM
External or not I doubt anything will comes loose for you. Maybe some salt creep, but otherwise I doubt you will have any issues.