PDA

View Full Version : Please advise me on "grow out tank"

Reef Keeper
11/03/2009, 12:05 PM
Hello experts,

I am at the point in my 125 gallon tank where the corals are growing out the wazoo so my LFS advised me to get a second frag tank. Last night, I thought my master bedroom would look cool with the second tank next to the sofas so I have the following questions:

1. Is 20 or 29 gallon tank size appropriate? I am going to choose the ones that are long so I can store more frags.
2. I plan to have a simple canister filter only. Is that enough since this tank will NOT have any fishes? Of course the tank will have powerheads.
3. How often should PWC be? Is once a month 20% OK?

I have a bunch of T5s before I upgraded my tank with MH so I plan to use them. Any advises on frag tanks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again. RK

NKYdude
11/03/2009, 12:22 PM
any way to build it into the stand of your 125? makes moving things back and forth a lil easier, plus that way u can plumb it into the main system for better filtration and easier maintainance.

lordofthereef
11/03/2009, 01:37 PM
I wouldn't use the canister filter, mostly because that is only useful with larger particle sizes, such as if you were to be feeding fish. You could probably do just fine pulling water from your display and using that for your water changes.

ChadTheSpike
11/03/2009, 01:50 PM
1) I agree with you on the long, but I recommend wide as well, I think 40 breeders work very well for frag or growout tanks

2) I personally would not use the canister filter (unless its during maintenance with a fine filter for polishing), I would go with a DSB for biological filtration.

3) Im personally a bigger fan of much smaller weekly changes, but like I said thats just me.