PDA

View Full Version : Help please ASAP - Osmolator

jhildebrand
11/03/2009, 01:30 PM
Mine is no longer filling when the red LED goes on. The sensor seems to be working properly and turns green when I manually fill. Upon disconnecting the unit i noticed that some saltwater must have run down the cord at some point and the wire connector is all corroded and so are the screws.

Could this be the problem and will it be fixed if I strip the wires and reconnect? Or does this sound like something else? Thanks in advance.

rvitko
11/03/2009, 02:33 PM
Yes, but usually the corrosion in these cases is fairly extensive and the best course of action would be a new pump, a new connector (european connector from Radio Shack) and t cut back the lead from the osmolator until you get to bright shiny copper, you will probably have to cut back 6-12".

jhildebrand
11/03/2009, 03:10 PM
what gauge wire is it? does it have to be the same connector?

rvitko
11/03/2009, 03:18 PM
I would recommend sticking with the same type of connector because wire nots don't seem to hold up well in this application, they hold water at the wires if they do get wet and don't offer the best connection compared to the euro connector with tinned wire ends. I wouldn't add any additional wire if at all possible, but 24 gauge would be the minimum I would use if wire is needed.

jhildebrand
11/06/2009, 01:54 PM
Okay, I had to strip all but about 16" of wire off to hit clean copper. You were correct and the rest was black. New pump also, but it's the same problem - red light goes on, pump will not fill. The eye is clean and registers full with green light when I manually fill. Is it the unit??? I'm going deer hunting for a week soon and I can't rely on my tank sitter to be topping off a big system like this every day. What else can I do?

rvitko
11/06/2009, 03:15 PM
Send me the pump, power supply and controller. Within a day of getting it I will get it repaired, there will be no charge if it is less than 2 years old and the controller has no water damage. Include your return address and phone number in the box. Good luck, I look forward to getting out for a weekend myself.

rvitko
11/06/2009, 03:16 PM
Tunze USA
305 Victor St
Austin, TX 78753

jhildebrand
11/06/2009, 03:19 PM
And that's what makes you guys so awesome...

jhildebrand
02/04/2010, 12:10 PM
Hey Roger, I finally was able to get this back on my system and it still has the original problem. I even replaced the pump. Was anything done to this besides replacing the wire connector? The green light goes on when the level is correct, but the pump will either run for a few seconds or not at all when the level drops.

rvitko
02/04/2010, 12:26 PM
I added a PTC, raising the limit of power to the pump to 1600mA from the old 800mA and retinned the wire ends after cutting back to clean wire. I tested it here as well, it is possible though that the PTC I added is not making the best contact. I will shoot you a PM.