PDA

View Full Version : Mag and Iodine

kaddy522
11/03/2009, 08:55 PM
I have a couple questions, I have started my first reef aquarium and I have had some corals in it for a couple months. I have never tested for magnesium or iodine is that something that needs to be done. I also add C-balance every week to keep my calcium in check.
Another question is I add tace elements, Coral-vite, Micro-vert. Should I be adding anything else for my corals. Right now I only have zoos, frogspawn, two anemones, and Montipora Capricornis. I have read to add marine snow, but I have been told not to add anything. Please let me know I am so confused on what I need to do for my corals.

Thank you

Billybeau1
11/04/2009, 01:18 AM
You should occasionally check your magnesium level but in my opinion, iodine is not needed. Nor are those other additives you are adding. Many of these products are just not needed and are sold to put your money in someone elses pocket. :)

Here is an article on what to and not to supplement in your reef.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-04/rhf/index.php

JamesJR
11/04/2009, 08:52 AM
You should definitely check your Magnesium levels periodically. Low magnesium can cause problems and can make it difficult to maintain your calcium/alkalinity levels. I haven't dosed Iodine for many years. I agree the other supplements you are adding are not needed.

tmz
11/04/2009, 11:17 AM
I would stop dosing microvert and coral vite, unless you are target feeding some filter feeders with the microvert.
C balance its a two part additive , correct? If so use both parts one is for calcium and the other for alkalinity.
Magnesium should be checked periodicaly( monthly or less frequently should do) and maintained around 1200ppm. You should get enough iodine from your slat mix and fish food. It's difficult to test for and most systems don't need a supplement.
Take a look at the salt mix thread at the top of this forum to determine how much calcium ,magnesium and alkalinity your slat mix is contributing.