PDA

View Full Version : Does low PH (7.2) makes fish lethargic?

syrss
11/04/2009, 12:14 AM
If not lethargy, what would be the effect it will have on the fish?

Any input is welcomed! :rollface:

TIA,
Ron

JamesJR
11/04/2009, 09:06 AM
If your pH is 7.2 you're going to run into serious trouble if it is really this low. How did you test it? I find it odd that it is this low and would probably test it with another test kit before you do anything. Seawater should have a pH of about 8.2 and although it may seem like it isn't off by much you have to remember that the pH scale is logarithmic. So your tanks water is 10 times more acidic than it should be. These fish have evolved to live in conditions that are very specific and a low pH can cause all kinds of problems for them. I would recommend you bring it up slowly over several hours with baking soda.

JHemdal
11/04/2009, 09:49 AM
syrss,

I've not seen that myself, what were the circumstances? I've seen fish shipped for 48+ hours that arrived with a bag water pH of below 6.5. They seemed lethargic, but given the trip they just endured, I didn't atrribute that to the low pH alone.

Carbon dioxide is used as an anesthetic for invertebrates and a euthanizing agent for fish - it also depresses the pH when it forms carbonic acid in water. If your low pH was caused by say, an out-of-control CO2 reactor, maybe that is the effect you are seeing?

Jay Hemdal

syrss
11/04/2009, 11:36 AM
I used API test kit and read the chart to the my best ability. (IMO it's hard to differentiate the different shades of violet)

I am doing hyposalinity in my tank and I think that is the main reason for the low ph. My damsels and chromis are happy in the current water column, but a newly acquired dogface puffer seems really lethargic with it's tail sideways and hiding.

Can I simply raise PH by adding baking soda, or do I need soda ash?

I can raise my salinity back to normal if needed.

LisaD
11/04/2009, 12:23 PM
You definitely need to get pH up. I always used Seachem's 8.3 buffer, so not sure how to advise on the question. I believe over time, that low a pH for saltwater fish will be lethal. You might try a different pH test kit - 7.2 should be very distinct from 8 to 8.3. Are you using a low range or high range pH test kit?

If I were you, I'd immediately start some partial water changes, keeping the hypo as you want it, but adding some buffer to gradually bring pH up to at least 8.0.

MrTuskfish
11/04/2009, 12:56 PM
Hypo would certainly explain the low PH; I assume you have source water in that PH range. Like LisaD, I like SeaChem buffer---I like all of their stuff and their tech support.. If you know the problem is due to hypo and need just a one time fix; baking soda will work just fine. I used it for years when I started in the hobby and all the cool stuff we have now just wasn't commonly available. Do the increase slowly though, you could even set up a drip-line. Sudden PH shock can be deadly to fish that are already stressed. BTW, doing hypo in your DT can result in lots of serious problems; like dead LR. Large amounts of dead micro-organisms will also increase PH; better watch ammonia too. I'd start another thread and get advice on how to get things back to normal when you are done with hypo. I'd get a QT when this episode is over, it will pay for itself the 1st time its used.

JHemdal
11/04/2009, 02:27 PM
Make sure that the tank has good aeration to drive off any excess CO2 - either from an airstone, or a skimmer, or an aerating powerhead.

JH

MrTuskfish
11/04/2009, 03:35 PM
Make sure that the tank has good aeration to drive off any excess CO2 - either from an airstone, or a skimmer, or an aerating powerhead.

JH

Just asking your opinion: Wouldn't vigorous surface agitation do the same thing?

syrss
11/04/2009, 06:21 PM

JH

I do have a skimmer running on it (although not getting much foam due to hypo). I also have surface agitation.

I am going to raise salinity back just because I agree now that Hypo in DT causes more problems than it's worth.

Thanks for everyone's input, tremendously helpful.

LisaD
11/04/2009, 09:28 PM
If I were you, I'd raise pH back up gradually with water changes. Unless you know for sure that hypo didn't affect other parameters, it is always safest, IMO, to do gradual partial water changes to help de-stress fish. You could use water that is higher sg than desired to bring it up...

BTW, what size is your tank?

syrss
11/05/2009, 12:08 PM
If I were you, I'd raise pH back up gradually with water changes. Unless you know for sure that hypo didn't affect other parameters, it is always safest, IMO, to do gradual partial water changes to help de-stress fish. You could use water that is higher sg than desired to bring it up...

BTW, what size is your tank?

Hi Lisa, I agree with you and plan on just doing water changes with higher sg.

BTW, my PH was at 7.8 not 7.2. So I guess it's not that bad after all.

My ammonia is little high so water changes should also remedy that.

The only thing is that according to some people, the hypo supposedly destroyed my biological filter, so I plan to dose Microbacter 7 after my salinity is back to normal.

My tank is 100G.

LisaD
11/05/2009, 01:46 PM
How low did you go with hypo? I have heard that even 1.011 sg will not kill the biofilter (though I'm not sure that is true). The ammonia spike may have been from a die-off of inverts like worms in your rock or sand.

After the water changes, I'd just keep testing water regularly, and keep up with water changes. With fish in the DT, you can't afford to let your tank re-cycle drastically, if the bio-filter is compromised. You will have to keep water quality up until the tank stablilizes.

How is the puffer? IME, dogface puffers can be pretty sensitive to water quality, so keep an eye on him.

syrss
11/05/2009, 02:56 PM
How low did you go with hypo? I have heard that even 1.011 sg will not kill the biofilter (though I'm not sure that is true). The ammonia spike may have been from a die-off of inverts like worms in your rock or sand.

After the water changes, I'd just keep testing water regularly, and keep up with water changes. With fish in the DT, you can't afford to let your tank re-cycle drastically, if the bio-filter is compromised. You will have to keep water quality up until the tank stablilizes.

How is the puffer? IME, dogface puffers can be pretty sensitive to water quality, so keep an eye on him.

I went as low as 1.009, all my hermit crab are no longer alive.

The puffer is ok for now, he does eat a little when I put it in front of his face (I always thought puffers eat everything and a lots of it), and does swim around once in a while. I also noticed he does not like bright light.