PDA

View Full Version : opinion please........

Erniethisle
11/04/2009, 10:25 AM
So i was haveing a debate with a buddy of mine about power heads and direction. i was saying power heads facing the same direction would be less energy and more efficent? how do you feel about this?

patsfan1130
11/04/2009, 11:12 AM
I am no electrical expert but to me...If a PH uses x amount of wattage then it's pretty static as to how many watts it uses.

mesamech
11/04/2009, 11:30 AM
You probably won't notice any difference on your power bill...

tmz
11/04/2009, 11:31 AM
A gyre laminar flow around the tank moves more water but a power head with crossing flow adds needed turbulence ,in my opinion.

no_Wedge
11/04/2009, 12:03 PM
more efficient yes, less energy no, however if your going for water flow in the same direction then you would be wasting energy to not face them the same way.

ROBLOW
11/04/2009, 02:22 PM
so are we in agreence that same direction is better for flow in sps tank than facing each other?

username in use
11/04/2009, 02:33 PM
I am a big fan of pushing the water in a gyre. This is the most efficient way to move the largest amount of water.

patsfan1130
11/04/2009, 02:34 PM
Are we talking about efficiency here? Or flow for sps? IMO a more chaotic flow is better. Having the pumps face each other creates more "random flow" if you will and achieves this better than facing them in the same direction. Ideally having PH on a wavemaker or getting a Vortech will create a more natural enviroment for corals IMO.

MCCOOL
11/04/2009, 02:35 PM
so are we in agreence that same direction is better for flow in sps tank than facing each other?

No I don't think so. That's why people spend so much on controllable powerheads, it's for the random flow that they create. Laminar flow isn't necessarily a bad thing, but turbulant, random flow is best for SPS in my opinion.

jenglish
11/04/2009, 02:44 PM

Corals come from the ocean, not a river. If you are talking about branching SPS, constant flow in one direction may make them grow in that direction, like a plant growing towards a light. This is not necasarily bad for the coral but may not look natural IMO.

Most of us have powerheads crossing or aimed at one another to create some
disturbance and random flow.

schoch79
11/04/2009, 04:15 PM
I agree with the general concensus here. For sps, and really any coral, imo it's best if the powerheads "blow" against each other instead of with each other. If you look around here on RC you will see alot of aquariums with a powerhead at each rear corner both facing the front center of the tank. That is so that the two flows crash in the middle and create a more random, turbulant flow.

Erniethisle
11/04/2009, 05:07 PM
thanks for all the opinions.......