PDA

View Full Version : MP10 Noise? Help post comparisons!

poidog81
11/04/2009, 11:30 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying to determine if my MP10 is too noisy and warrants sending in for Vortech to listen to it. My unit has never been "silent" like they claim it should be. I do get a whizzing noise of the dry side motor when it revs up. It can be as loud as my MH fans when it reaches top speeds.

If you have an MP10 can you post a short video of the dry side motor (capturing audio) reving up and down???

It would be great help.... I know others have the same question and will want to compare.

Thanks!

NemesisElite
11/04/2009, 12:25 PM
i've always wondered this my self but dont have the equipment to show if mine is abnormally loud or not

i also get that whizzing sound when its revving so your not alone

Shootcat
11/04/2009, 12:55 PM
I have mine running around 75% on reef crest mode and the outside motor never gets louder then my MH fan. Sometimes if the light is off and the tv is low I can hear a faint buzz in the background, but I've never had it annoy me with a loud noise.

I've put it to its highest speed to check sound and it still doesn't get louder then my MH fan, but i can hear more of a vibration then the actual motor. I'm sorry I don't have a video to show you, but it definetly isn't loud, compared to the other reef tanks I've been around!

hebygb
11/04/2009, 01:48 PM
If it is similar to my MP20, try adjusting the wetside slightly. rotating, sliding until the noise vanishes. It could also be a bearing issue. Call Vortech, They are extremely helpful and courteous.

poidog81
11/04/2009, 01:56 PM
Heb - I've been talking with Tim. I'm gonna take it apart tonight to see if the increase noise exists when the wetside is attached. If the noise is still loud without the wetside, I would assume it is something internally wrong with the motor.

I've tried to see if I could get the noise to go away by aligning it all the time - it is aligned, and the noise is definatly not vibration but motor noise. There is a possibility if the wet side is bad it is making the motor run unbalanced that could cause increased motor noise.

So far, Echotech CS is great, they are doing everything they can to diagnose and fix the issue.