PDA

View Full Version : MP10 noise level - normal or is mine overly loud?

poidog81
11/04/2009, 11:50 AM
Hi Tim,

I talked to Steve on the phone the other day regarding the noise coming from my MP10, and he couldn't determine over the phone. I'll send it in if need be, but would like to eliminate that possibility if I can, since I will have to purchase a pump while the MP10 is away. What should be the appropriate noise level coming from the MP10? I have been running mine since the day it came out and I feel like it has gotten louder, it is a loud electronic whizzing noise. At 35% throttle it is a tad louder than my skimmer, and when it revs up to 75% it is as loud, if not a bit louder since I can hear it, than my 4 MH fans. I have heard from other people that their units are nearly silent.

Is this an appropriate noise level? and do you have any suggestions? It is properly aligned, and I have cleaned the wetside just to see if any build-up was causing the noise.

Overall, this is a fantastic pump, and I'll only buy vortechs when I upgrade :), I'm just trying to get this noise situation under control.

Thanks!

EcoTech Marine
11/04/2009, 12:10 PM
Hi,

It's really tough to say without seeing the pump ourselves. we could blindly send you a new wet side, but it could be the dry side. Therefore the best option really is to get the pump in-house and see what's up.

poidog81
11/04/2009, 01:13 PM
Should it only be as loud as the dry side running by it's self? If I attach the wetside and it's considerably louder would the wetside be off balance? I could take it out/apart and see tongiht - but the sound is distictivly the motor noise, I don't know if the wetside would effect this? Also, I am running it with the spacer - due to my thinner glass thickness - would that cause anything?

I would hate to go through the time and expense of buying a backup pump to send it in and be told that it's within acceptable sound range.

Could you guys post a video of the sound it should be making when it revs up/down? That would be a great comparison tool!

Thanks Tim!

EcoTech Marine
11/04/2009, 01:17 PM
It should not be considerably louder than the dry side when just running that by itself, but it will be louder. If you feel confident that the wetside is the problem, we are ok with sending you just that so that you can be up and running. We will however need your old wetside back to evaluate. Steve can work out the details with you over the phone, just let him know about this thread so he has some background on my comments.

poidog81
11/04/2009, 01:25 PM
Tim,
I will take it apart and listen to it tonight. I'm assuming I should still get increased motor noise when the pump revs up with the wetside disconnected (increase in pitch?)? But, if it is much more noisier when the wet side is connected it would be a wetside error? Would the wetside effect the motor noise, or only vibration noise?

Thanks again!

EcoTech Marine
11/04/2009, 01:27 PM
A motor is a motor, so you will definitely here increased motor noise as the motor revs up even with the wetside disconnected. If you get a loud vibration with the wetside connected that isn't there without it, I suspect it's a wetside issue.

poidog81
11/04/2009, 01:41 PM
Okay, sounds good. I will get it apart and diagnose it tonight.

Thanks Tim for your help. I'll let you know tomorrow!

EcoTech Marine
11/04/2009, 01:46 PM
We're looking forward to getting your situation sorted out!

poidog81
11/04/2009, 10:09 PM
Hi Tim,
I sent you an email at service@ecotechmarine.com with a video clip of my pump noise. Take a listen to the clip and let me know if you think.

poidog81
11/05/2009, 09:06 AM
Tim,
I've posted the video here too in case it was too large for your email to accept.

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/poidog81/th_MVI_4895.jpg (http://s597.photobucket.com/albums/tt55/poidog81/?action=view&current=MVI_4895.flv)

EcoTech Marine
11/05/2009, 10:37 AM
Sounds more like a motor noise to me from that video. Steve has your video and will take care of you from here through email.

poidog81
11/05/2009, 10:45 AM
Thanks. That's what I thought. The noise was amplified with the wetside attached, but the majority of the noise was coming from the dry side unit, with slight vibration noise from the wetside. Could something be wrong with both? I look forward to Steve's e-mail today.
Thanks so much for your guy's assistance so far!

rehnberg
11/05/2009, 11:30 AM
nice video, that is the way my mp 10 sounds. I really think that is just how loud they are.

poidog81
11/06/2009, 12:00 PM
Hi Tim,
Steve is shipping me out a new dry and wet side, and should be at my house on Monday. Thank you for your prompt and genuine concern with my pump's problem. You guys have top notch service and an excellent product! I'll report, on Monday about, the new pump.

rehnberg
11/07/2009, 12:55 PM
Let me know if your new one is quieter then the one you have now, mine sounds just like yours, maybe I need to send it in

poidog81
11/10/2009, 09:40 AM
Hi Tim,
I got my new pump in yesterday and installed it. WOW! the new pump is so much more quieter! The loud motor reving sound is gone. You now only here a slight motor noise. It is about 200% quieter! And if it will get quieter after "break in" I will barely be able to hear it, even with all my fans, etc off. Before I used to be able to hear the old one all over the house (including the upstairs), now with this one it's barely audible, and only in the room that the tank is in.

Thanks again for yours and Steve's fantastic customer service. You guys have proven, once again, why you are one of the industry leaders in aquarium equipment.
-Eric

EcoTech Marine
11/10/2009, 09:58 AM
Eric-

Thank you for your support. I'm very happy to know that you're up and running the way you would expect!

techdiver
01/23/2011, 12:26 PM
I know this is an old post, but I am trying to figure out if my MP10 is supposed to be as loud as it is. It works great, but we can easily hear it in the next room.

EcoTech Marine
01/24/2011, 11:03 AM
Give us a call and we'll get you taken care of.

hddtran
03/06/2012, 09:33 AM
Please help on how to determine whether the noise on the MP10 is from the wet side or from the dry side? My MP10 is making too much loud. (lounder than my skimmer) and looks appear to be the sound is from the motor . Will replacing the wet side solve this problem?

thank you