PDA

View Full Version : Hammer(head) coral ?

rbergmandc
11/04/2009, 03:29 PM
hey all.. picked up this beauty.. i think its a hammer coral..

not sure from the info i'm getting.. does it need high calcium levels ? currently only have softies in the tank..

Calcium levels are around 280.. dosing purple up every 2 days for a week..

some people say it needs 420.. some say it doesn't just good water changes and flow..

any help ?

BeanMachine
11/04/2009, 03:37 PM
Looks like a hammer to me.

rbergmandc
11/04/2009, 03:37 PM
ok.. thats a start.. what about calcium levels ?

BeanMachine
11/04/2009, 03:43 PM
As a general rule...

Cal- 420ppm
Alk- 7 to 11 dkh
Mag- 1350ppm

Although you want near those levels, stability is key.

From my experience, hammers aren't that picky so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Ditch the purple up and get yourself the BRS 2 part, 2 Little Fishies 2 part, something like that. Read Randy's Article on the DIY 2 part, very informative even if you don't want to make your own.

MCCOOL
11/04/2009, 03:46 PM
Beanmachine is correct, although a calcium level that low won't kill the coral you probably won't see very much growth either.

rbergmandc
11/04/2009, 03:52 PM
ok.. thats kinda what i thought.. it needs more calcium than your usual softies.. mushrooms, BTA, kenya, GSP that i have in there already

Since i have 2 bottles of purple up.. and a Kent Essential Elements bottle.. i'm gonna use that all till i finish them.. then i'll move forward..

Any thoughts on how often i should dose the purple up to get my calcium levels higher.. and can it affect the fish (PB tang iched up) ???