PDA

View Full Version : 60 Gallon build in las vegas

kentlighting
11/05/2009, 12:09 AM
Just wanted to share my 60 gallon build

alittle back story:

I had a 55 gallon set up running for about a year with most of the equipment you'll see presently in my current set up. I was hired to work for cirque du soleil out in vegas so I had to move from rochester new york. when they call you go! I tore my tank down sold the big stuff, shipped what i could over time as paychecks permit. jumped on a plane with a suitcase and here i am.

So ive been "slowly" (cause it feels like forever) rebuilding and modyifying. its kinda nice as im not having to do everything so makeshift as i was in my old tank ( i had a leak in my CPR overflow box so i taped a plastic cup with some airline silconed to the bottom to direct the leak into the sump) and taking what ive learned last time and not making the same mistakes.

so here is where im at

Old Equipment

Acrylic sump holding about 15 gallons when the system is running with Filter Sock
CPR SR2 skimmer
Quiet 1 3000 return pump
Small Uv filter
ATO Top of float switch
2 Tom Aquatics Doser Pumps 1 for ATO and one (used to be used for the CPR overflow) for the refill of the ATO reservoir.
4bulb T5 system with Blue LED moon light 2 atinics and 2 daylight
2 small korillas

NEW Equipment
60 gallon fujimoto glass tank 48" long
Gl*******s.com 700gph overflow kit
Gl*******s.com 3/4" Dual Return kit.
3/4" SCWD wave maker
Jager 300 watt Heater

i picked up about 50 pounds or so of live rock for free (traded some show tickets :) )

So here are some pictures all they way up to today just follow the link to my flickr account, i would love to hear input!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

muttley000
11/05/2009, 05:01 AM
Looking good, did you have decent luck with that skimmer in your old setup?

FishNubbin
11/05/2009, 09:52 AM
so which show you working for out there?

kentlighting
11/05/2009, 03:11 PM
the only complaint i have about the skimmer is micro bubbles, i dont have room in my sump for a bubble trap but i have thought about a filter sponge covering the output side of the skimmer. thoughts?

Nubbin - I work on LOVE, its based entirely off the Beatles music which has been remixed and mastered by George and Giles Martin exclusively for our show

kentlighting
11/06/2009, 02:00 AM
bump / any input to the skimmer mod?

muttley000
11/06/2009, 05:02 AM
the only complaint i have about the skimmer is micro bubbles, i dont have room in my sump for a bubble trap but i have thought about a filter sponge covering the output side of the skimmer. thoughts?

I have heard of this working, but have never seen it personally. Wouldn't cost much to try

lordofthereef
11/06/2009, 06:53 AM
I have tried the filter sponge thing. It works great for a few days and then gets really dirty and inhibits flow out of the skimmer unless you clean it. If you remember, not a problem. If you don't, you will probably be skimming wetter and wetter until you do!

Pam Little
11/06/2009, 07:02 AM
Hey Will, don't know if you,ve found them or not but there is a great little reefing community out there called Las Vegas Valley Reefers (LVVR)http://www.vegasreefers.com/ Great bunch of people and do some fun things. (I lived out there for a while)

kentlighting
11/06/2009, 04:28 PM
well today i looked and the micro bubbles are gone, the skimmer must be on the board too and got scared with the word "mod".

pam- i havent herd of them yet, ill check them out!

scbauer
11/06/2009, 06:11 PM
Welcome to Vegas!

Yea, the club is great, we meet about once a month. Pam already pointed you to the website (http://www.vegasreefers.com), unfortunately the forum isn't extremely active. I usually cross-post things here on RC and on VegasReefers.com

Tank looks good, I like your rockwork. What part of town do you live in? What kind of equipment can I trade for show tickets? :)

-Scott

scbauer
11/06/2009, 06:15 PM
I must say, I'm a little surprised you only have some T5's over your tank... I checked out your website and I would think you would have designed a really nice looking 8,000W lighting system to go over your tank. :lolspin:

kentlighting
11/06/2009, 08:18 PM
If I got paid to use the lights over my tank than I'd have the same lights as they do on top of the Luxor but for now the t5 fit the budget perfectly

kentlighting
11/06/2009, 11:03 PM
Scott I live in the southwest part of town. As far as tickets go I'll let you know the next time they pop up my list of stuff to buy right now is more fish, frags, calcium reactor and a Neptune sys apex