PDA

View Full Version : Elegence coral without a skeleton

reefer31
11/05/2009, 11:56 AM
Anyone have some experience with rehabilitating an elegence coral that has had polyp bailout and is now separated from its skeleton? The coral is from a maint. account and I put it into my tank to rehab it, and so far its in a cup with some rubble at the bottom and is showing great polyp expansion. I fed it the first day but Im not sure if it ate or not, I plan on feeding it often and just wait, any suggestions?

pbnj
11/05/2009, 12:01 PM
Can you rubberband it to the skeleton to see if it re-attaches?

elegance coral
11/05/2009, 06:57 PM
Just keep the flow low, the water clean, and parameters like PH, alk, and calcium in check. I have seen, or heard of, many cases of polyp bail out with these corals. I have never seen one regrow a skeleton and live happily ever after. The longest survival after bail out that I know of was about 6 months with no skeletal reformation. Hopefully you will be the one to change all that. Just don't get your hopes up.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Dustin1300
11/06/2009, 09:51 PM
Don't try to attach to old skeleton with rubberband as it will not reattach. Keeping near perfect parameters would be the best. Try feeding 2-3 times weekly too...

reefer31
11/06/2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I have it in relatively lower/random flow and its inflated quite a bit, its so inflated its smashed up against the side of the cup I have it in. I know that does not mean much but its better than being all deflated and dead looking. :) I will try and feed it the next time I feed the tank and we will see what happens. I have heard of no good news from anyone about this. Hopefully I will be able to get it to grow a skeleton again since these corals are one of my favorites.

Dustin1300
11/07/2009, 04:11 AM
They are one of my favorite LPS corals too. Good luck with yours and hope it pulls through:)

Gary Majchrzak
11/12/2009, 03:24 PM
Anyone have some experience with rehabilitating an elegence coral that has had polyp bailout and is now separated from its skeleton? The coral is from a maint. account and I put it into my tank to rehab it, and so far its in a cup with some rubble at the bottom and is showing great polyp expansion. I fed it the first day but Im not sure if it ate or not, I plan on feeding it often and just wait, any suggestions?
what are the S.G., calcium, alkalinity and magnesium levels in this account?