PDA

View Full Version : sixline wrasse

Necsones
11/05/2009, 01:25 PM
Think my sixline is getting to skinny :( i feed my tank 1 time a day of Mysis shrimp. It is eating, but its competeing with a yellow tang, rusty angle, clownfish and a chromis. The bigger pieces of shrimp, i can see it take one and swim under a rock with it. Guess it wants to eat in peace hehe.

Is there any other food for a sixline that would be easier for it to eat. Was Thinking about loading up on copepods for it to snack on.

mngo95132
11/05/2009, 02:04 PM
Think my sixline is getting to skinny :( i feed my tank 1 time a day of Mysis shrimp. It is eating, but its competeing with a yellow tang, rusty angle, clownfish and a chromis. The bigger pieces of shrimp, i can see it take one and swim under a rock with it. Guess it wants to eat in peace hehe.

Is there any other food for a sixline that would be easier for it to eat. Was Thinking about loading up on copepods for it to snack on.

Mysis shrimp is too tough for the Sixline wrasses. Get the Brine shrimp (medium) and it should have no problems of swallowing the whole piece right away.

arredondojason
11/05/2009, 02:30 PM
my six line has eaten pepermint shrimp and he has killed a mandrian goby so needless to say he is not going into my 240 gallon when i move my stock over.

but yes brine shrimp should be fine or cyclopeze

wickedfood
11/05/2009, 02:42 PM
Mysis shrimp is too tough for the Sixline wrasses. Get the Brine shrimp (medium) and it should have no problems of swallowing the whole piece right away.

My sixline ate all of my peppermint shrimp too. A couple were every bit as big as the wrasse too.

_88
11/05/2009, 03:18 PM
A peppermint shrimp???? Wow, thats a surprise to me but you learn something new every day on this forum. My 6 line is pretty fat and happy on spectrum pellets, foraging for copapods in the live rock and the occasional treat of brine shrimp. Any chance yours is getting bullied around by the other fish?

Necsones
11/05/2009, 03:32 PM
no, they all are getting along pretty good. just the rusty angle bullys the clownfish some times. I think its just the mysis shrimp. Think im going to switch up a few days with brine shrimp.

wickedfood
11/05/2009, 04:17 PM
I gave away my six line. He pretty much ate every single pod, worm and other micro critter outta my little tank which became pretty sterile to look at after a while. Ya live and learn I guess.

junio
11/05/2009, 06:34 PM
Sixlines usually eat a lot. I've ever feeded mine only with flakes and it did fine. I've sold it cause it never left my mandarim in peace.

entropygain
11/05/2009, 08:15 PM
sixlines are bullies!

luther1200
11/05/2009, 09:00 PM
I pretty much only feed Mysis and my Sixline has no problem with them. Whaqt brand do you buy? Some are bigger than others. Try the Hykari brand if you can get it.They are the best IMO.

sra127
11/06/2009, 09:25 AM
why so many negatives on sixline wrasses??? i have had mine for around 2 yrs. at first he was with a b&w clown in the 14 gallon. no problems.
i have now moved him over to my 90 with a mandarin, yellow coris wrasse, pbt, naso, yellow tang, purple firefish, pair of b&w clowns. still no problems. was i one of the lucky ones??

pammy
11/06/2009, 10:15 AM
My Sixline eats everything... Hikari Mysis, giant PE Mysis, Brine, Krill, Flake and New Life Spectrum Pellets. I'm amazed at the size of food he eats, and he's not very big. He's also been a model citizen so far since I put him in my tank about 6 months ago. I was very leary to get one after hearing all the stories about them being bullies, but I took a chance and he's become one of my favorite fish. So cool to watch them cruise around the tank, and I love the color and stripes on the eyes !

Pam

Amoore311
11/06/2009, 11:15 AM
why so many negatives on sixline wrasses??? i have had mine for around 2 yrs. at first he was with a b&w clown in the 14 gallon. no problems.
i have now moved him over to my 90 with a mandarin, yellow coris wrasse, pbt, naso, yellow tang, purple firefish, pair of b&w clowns. still no problems. was i one of the lucky ones??

I've had mine for 3 years and have had the same experience as the above.

Started in a 20 Gallon with a couple clowns, Watchman Goby, and Midas Blenny.

Move to a 90 gallon for 18 months. In there with pair of clowns, watchman, yellow tang, and PBT.

Now he is in a 180 with all of the 90 Gallon Stock, + 1 Blue Jaw Trigger and a Green Mandarin.

Never any problems for me. He does eat pots like crazy. He never touches and feather dusters or other worms though, and never even acknowledges any other fish in the tank.

BeanMachine
11/06/2009, 01:43 PM
Hit and miss I would guess, but I've read a few to many posts of six-lines becoming the devil in sheep's clothing.