PDA

View Full Version : Optimal skimmer flow rate

MarkD40
11/05/2009, 01:42 PM
I just installed a new Reef Octopus 200 recirculating external skimmer. Because it is external I have it fed directly from my overflow. My 75 gallon sump is is the basement and I have split the return with a Tee followed by a valve on each side so I can regulate how much goes directly to the sump and how much goes through the skimmer. I have a 110 gallon display with 380 gph exiting the overflow. The skimmer is rated for a 300 gallon system. In terms of maximum removal of protein etc., is it better to have high flow through the skimmer therefore exposing more water to the skimmer per hour, or lower flow which allows a longer contact time between the air and water mixture? Which leads to a lower nutrient level?

crownjules
11/05/2009, 01:47 PM
I'm fairly new to this hobby myself, but from my standpoint I'd say you'd want the latter. Having too high a flow rate will just blow water past your skimmer untreated. A lower rate means the skimmer has more contact time with the water and can get to treating it before it's returned to your main tank.