PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Goby not sifting...

Burkette
11/05/2009, 08:12 PM
Hi guys, just got a daimond goby from my LFS, and so far, all I can tell is the likes the bottom of some of my liverock. He doesn't sift, doesnt eat(as far as I can tell), and doesnt move. I imagine that it will take a few days for him to get comfortable, but he's not moving at all! Any ideas about how to entice him to get moving around/ Thanks in advance for the help.

bertoni
11/05/2009, 08:20 PM
If it's only been a few days, I'd just live the fish alone. It should get hungry eventually. :) It might already be eating live prey, etc, from time to time.

adambirk
11/05/2009, 08:29 PM
the worst thing you can do at this point is mess with him. he is trying to adjust to a new environment. these are fish that need to have a burrow to feel secure so he will start to do that soon. untill he has his home he is going to be really stressed cause they feel valnurable with no place to hide and you "enticing" him is only going to worsen the stress.

but it is a little odd that he hasnt already started to build a house somewhere if you have had him a couple of days. keep a close eye on him but dont mess with him. if he does not get more active and start playing in the sand so to speak in the next couple of days i would start to get a little concerned.

they are a real hardy fish and he should be just fine. just make sure you watch him. also do you have any other fish that could be bothering him?

rbnice1
11/05/2009, 09:08 PM
I have had 4 diamond gobies. 2 where living shovels from the minute I put them in the tank. 1 did nothing but hide and died. 1 is acclimating now.

moze229
11/05/2009, 09:24 PM
Hi guys, just got a daimond goby from my LFS, and so far, all I can tell is the likes the bottom of some of my liverock. He doesn't sift, doesnt eat(as far as I can tell), and doesnt move. I imagine that it will take a few days for him to get comfortable, but he's not moving at all! Any ideas about how to entice him to get moving around/ Thanks in advance for the help.

Patience, young grasshopper :) I absolutely LOVE getting new fish (because I don't get to do it often) but I HATE going through the acclimation phase. I know it seems like something is wrong but it likely isn't. As mentioned, some fish don't really care, others are very particular about the environment. I think you'll find after lights out tonight, when you wake up tomorrow eveything will be fine.

Matt

Burkette
11/06/2009, 01:23 PM
Patience, young grasshopper :) I absolutely LOVE getting new fish (because I don't get to do it often) but I HATE going through the acclimation phase. I know it seems like something is wrong but it likely isn't. As mentioned, some fish don't really care, others are very particular about the environment. I think you'll find after lights out tonight, when you wake up tomorrow eveything will be fine.

Matt

Actually, he did poke his head out this morning at feeding time. I typically feed everyone in the tank some mysis in the morning via a turkey baster. I knew where the goby was taking up residence, so I put some at the mouth of his burrow. He immediatly gobbled them up from just inside the hole, and stayed there. After feeding the pearly jawfish and putting the rest of the mysis out into the tank, I noticed that the goby had his head poking out of the burrow. So I guess he's going in baby steps. He's eating and starting to poke his head out. Hopefully soon he will be mosying around the tank. I don't have anyone aggressive in the tank, so he has nothing to fear, and he's by far the biggest fish in there. I'll keep you guys posted. THanks for the help.
J