PDA

View Full Version : vacation fish care

aquadonkey
11/06/2009, 11:26 AM
Hi everyone! I'm still cycling my 29g. Trying to think ahead here, I'm going to be out of town for two weeks at Christmas time. In this case, I was thinking it might be better to wait until January to get fish/corals. Is there anything I can put in my tank that won't need care for two weeks? Clean-up crew?
In the tank I want:
Jawfish
pair of clowns
various corals - still need to do coral research.....
Thanks!
Lizz

PS - in the likely event that I won't be able to wait until January, any tips on vacation care??

shereth
11/06/2009, 11:32 AM
I had a similar situation (tank had finished cycling right before I was going to leave town for a week). My tank did have a mini-CUC in the form of hitchhikers who managed just fine without me, but I made the choice to wait until I got back before adding any additional inverts. If you are 100% sure that your cycle is complete and your tank has enough die-off to warrant it you could probably get away with some cleanup critters, but you might be better off waiting than spending half of your 2 week vacation wondering/worried if you just sentenced those snails to an untimely doom :)

ChadTheSpike
11/06/2009, 11:33 AM
I have a petsitter that I trust come in and check on things for me. You might try calling a local service, likely someone working there knows a thing or two about aquariums (think about how many people you know that have tanks have other pets too...)
my CUC requires no input from me. When I was waiting 6 months for microfauna to mature with nothing but a CUC, LS, LR and chaeto in my tank early last year, I left town for a week without anyone stopping in and checking on my tank. (I have a large sump though, and can have a weeks worth of evaporation without too many ill effects.)

Toddrtrex
11/06/2009, 11:34 AM
2 weeks is a long time for a 29 --- going to be a decent amount of evaporation -- so unless you are going to have someone stop by to top off the tank, I wouldn't bother getting anything for the tank until afterwards.

SAZAMA
11/06/2009, 11:56 AM
get a buddy to do it. I watch a 180g display for 6 months a year and it was what got me into reefing. leave lots of beer in the fridge, and hopefully get someone else into the hobby. GOOD LUCK

timdanger
11/06/2009, 03:21 PM
it is a terrible idea to stock right before going out of town for 2 weeks -unless- you have someone trustworthy with fish experience to watch the tank for you while you're gone. and, it can't be goldfish experience, because they'll have to feed appropriately, top-off, observe for stress/parasites (especially since the fish will still be new by the time you leave), etc.

you said yourself that you haven't even decided what kind of corals to get. this is a great time to pace yourself. if you are dying to have something in the tank, you could add some hermits -- they can take care of themselves.

aquadonkey
11/06/2009, 03:23 PM
Ok - so I just went to my LFS, and the guy said I would have my CUC and maybe some soft corals - and perhaps a friend could come two or three times while I'm gone (two weeks)?
That way I get to keep working on my tank....

shereth
11/06/2009, 03:56 PM
Two or three visits in two weeks is risky, as your tank would be going 3-5 days without visits, which is more than enough time for a tank crash. Corals and cleanup crews may require minimal maintenance but especially in a new, unestablished tank, you run the real risk of coming home to a tank full of rotting snails and corals. Really, do yourself and your intended livestock a favor, put it off the two weeks till you get home. Patience is more than a virtue in this hobby, it is a requirement! :)

aquadonkey
11/06/2009, 04:19 PM
Pooh
Well - you're probably right, but it's not putting off for just two weeks - it's putting it off until January! I'm asking about my Christmas vacation at the end of December/ beginning of January.
My water is starting look good, so I could start with a cuc this weekend. Maybe the situation is a little better if I have a few months to observe the tank (with some CUC and soft corals) before I go?

baldomero
11/06/2009, 05:12 PM
i would wait u sound very eager to put something in ur tank.so it doesnt matter what advice we give u i think ur still gonna go ahead and stock, so its up to u and good luck.

aquadonkey
11/06/2009, 08:31 PM
I am eager! I'm very excited about my tank! :) Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm a little concerned now about leaving the tank ever. I go out of town a few times a year - what do all of you do when you leave town? Hire someone? How much does that cost?

shereth
11/06/2009, 08:36 PM
You might be able to find a local reefer who would be willing to come by and check on your tank for you without charging an arm and a leg. Heck, they might even do it for you for free, just pay 'em back down the road with another favor. Of course, you could always leave some cold beer in the fridge for 'em :)

I'm going on vacation for 5 days later this month, I'm having my brother housesit and take care of things. All a matter of finding someone who can drop by and do a few simple tasks, make sure the water is topped off, make sure everybody's fed and the pumps are up and running, ect ... shouldn't have to cost you an arm and a leg.

aquadonkey
11/06/2009, 09:43 PM
Problem solved! I went onto my local Reef forum and found someone that lives a mile away from me! Yay! Now I have someone to trade fish-sitting with!

baldomero
11/07/2009, 04:18 PM
i went to new york from october 16 to the 25 and left easy instructions to my sister in law (she was the only one that could watch my tank).when i got back i lost 2 spotted drum and she didnt even call me to tell me why my sumps making noise.

Blownsvt
11/07/2009, 04:26 PM
I am away from my tank for the first time with no one to check on it for me. I am only gone for 4 days and I set up an ato and an auto feeder before I left but I am still thinking about it a lot. I only have 3 fish in there and cuc. Hopefully it's doing fine.

rickofco
11/07/2009, 05:25 PM
I leave my tank a few times a year for up to 8 days at a time I have a ATO and the only things that I do is make sure that the ATO is full and skimmer is turned off Ihavent lost any thing while away.