PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new fish, Yes or NO?

njfish77
11/06/2009, 04:41 PM
I just recently finished cycling my 56 gallon reef. I added a pair of mated clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and a ton of snails and hermits which I would think would only help balance the load in the tank more than add on. I have a refugium filled with LR rubble and cheato, a euro reef rs 80 skimmer, and about 70-100 lbs of rock in the tank with a 2 inch sandbed. This was added a couple of days ago. I found a sunburst anthias that is eating frozen heavily and was wondering if I could add him to the bioload without any problems?

A sea K
11/06/2009, 04:56 PM
Not a very good idea. Typically Anthias favor pristine, stable water conditions. Not knocking your abilities but in a system that young I highly doubt it will provide either. Not to mention I don't think you have allowed enough time for the system to recover or catch up to your previuos additions. All this and as a last straw a 56 gal is not near suitable for a Sunburst.
Sorry.

njfish77
11/06/2009, 05:17 PM
Yea I feel the same way about adding it. Im going to try and get the store to hold it for me, thought id ask someones opinion for buying. I've read that a sunburst is about the only anthias suitable for keeping in a 56 gallon, an i wrong?

A sea K
11/06/2009, 05:38 PM
Sunburst get fairly large for Anthias and is not well suited to smaller tanks. As far as the LFS holding the fish I strongly feel you just need to pass till your tank has more time to mature and you can find fish that will be more appropriate for your tank.

Ritten
11/06/2009, 05:38 PM
The snails and hermits do add on. They poop also. I think it's too soon for an Anthia, not only do they need an established tank with excellent water quality, they need to be fed several time a day.

BLKTANG
11/06/2009, 05:46 PM
I wouldnt recomend the Anthias.

njfish77
11/06/2009, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the input, im gnna trade out the anthias idea for something else and wait a couple weeks for another fish.