PDA

View Full Version : Water Storage Container Ideas Wanted

DLANDINO
11/06/2009, 10:00 PM
I want to begin storing more water and until now was used to making 8 gallons per week, storing it in the basement and then mixing it the night before my wc. I don't want a 35 gallon Brute can in the basement taking up space because I will not need that much water in advance. Are there other safe containers to use? Are rolling pet food containers safe to use? Any other ideas? If you have pics of you water storage system that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance all.

Llamaguy
11/06/2009, 10:07 PM
look at Melev's idea, he used wrapping paper containers. They're taller so they won't take up much floor space at all considering how much water they hold.

Scroll down toward the bottom.
http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

DLANDINO
11/06/2009, 10:37 PM
look at Melev's idea, he used wrapping paper containers. They're taller so they won't take up much floor space at all considering how much water they hold.

Scroll down toward the bottom.
http://www.melevsreef.com/plumbing/auto_topoff.html

Fantastic! Thanks!

ludnix
11/06/2009, 11:11 PM
Pet food containers should be safe, anything food safe (even pet food safe) should be inert.

Flipper62
11/06/2009, 11:24 PM
Here is a pic of a 3 gallon water container in my office. I have 4 of them, I use them when I make new RO/DI water, I fill them up & then use what I need for the new salt water mix. The rest I keep for top off water.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm238/flipper62_photos/3galjug.jpg

lordofthereef
11/06/2009, 11:28 PM
There are some coke factories that I have heard just give away their syrup drums which are made of food grade plastic. Otherwise I am told they just toss them or recycle them. Was thinking of looking into ths myself as they are the same drums that you would buy for like 50 bucks. I do believe they are iether 50 or 75 gallons.

Flipper62
11/07/2009, 12:36 AM
There are some coke factories that I have heard just give away their syrup drums which are made of food grade plastic. Otherwise I am told they just toss them or recycle them. Was thinking of looking into ths myself as they are the same drums that you would buy for like 50 bucks. I do believe they are iether 50 or 75 gallons.

Lord,

My brother in law is a Huge "somebody" with the pepsi corp. I say this because....he's always on vacation...yet makes $$

A few years ago, he got me 2 55 gallon barrels that once held the syrup from pepsi & Mt-Dew.

I tried to use them....Mixing a water / bleach.......to clean them.

I always tested the barrels for TDS......I could never get a 0.0 TDS reading from them.

SO I SCRAPPED THEM

khaosinc
11/07/2009, 04:26 AM
Depending on your budget, you might look to a camping supply place. You can get water storage containers in just about any shape or size.

lordofthereef
11/07/2009, 06:04 AM
Lord,

My brother in law is a Huge "somebody" with the pepsi corp. I say this because....he's always on vacation...yet makes $$

A few years ago, he got me 2 55 gallon barrels that once held the syrup from pepsi & Mt-Dew.

I tried to use them....Mixing a water / bleach.......to clean them.

I always tested the barrels for TDS......I could never get a 0.0 TDS reading from them.

SO I SCRAPPED THEM

I see. Did they smell still or what? Not saying you are wrong but I don't get 0.0 TDS for the life of me in any container once it has left the RODI unit (I do however get 0.0 straight out of the RODI). How bad was the TDS in the pepsi drum compared to your unit output?

ordy1
11/07/2009, 07:08 AM
I setup an ATO with two Brute 10 gallon containers W/ lids. I drilled a hole, at the side toward the bottom, and attatched a 1/2" bulkhead fitting to each container. I then tee'd off the two containers and attached an Eheim pump that feeds the discharge to another tee that splits to the container that I use for salt water mixing and back to my sump. Wish I had a pic. I'll post one as soon as I can get around to it. But the idea is no different than Melevs. As a matter of fact it's almost identical except for the feed/mixing pump.

I installed a float and a John Guest valve to the first reservoir. That container is fed from my RO/DI. I fill it manually and shut off the water from the Ro/di as soon as the container is full. If I ever need to make up more than ten gallons of water I open the ball valves ahead of the tee and allow water to flow to both containers. Never had the need. I automatically make up water to the sump using a Chem Feed diaphragm pump that I have coming off the first container.

I suppose you can use one container for both purposes, make up and salt water mixing and just drop a power head with a hose to facilitate water changes to your sump. Those wrapping paper container's are a great solution. I did have a little problem finding them and so I opted for the brute containers.

Hope this helped.

BLKTANG
11/07/2009, 07:16 AM
They have 10,& 15g containers at Home Depo for $8.

DLANDINO
11/07/2009, 08:14 PM
thanks again all, great advice

luther1200
11/07/2009, 08:24 PM
They make smaller Brute cans. I have a 20 gallon Brute that I use.