PDA

View Full Version : Problem replacing dart seal

herpboyben
11/07/2009, 07:23 PM
Im having a problem replacing the seal on my dart. I cant get the screws holding the volute to the motor to come loose. I need this seal replaced replaced asap. thanks
Ben

addicted2reefin
11/07/2009, 08:49 PM
there is nuts on the back, did u try taking those off?

herpboyben
11/08/2009, 09:17 AM
yeah i tried taking them off. the screws holding the wetside right behind the volute to the motor are stuck so i cant get them loose.

Pyrrhus
11/08/2009, 10:45 AM
I think those screws are hex head, try a small wrench.

herpboyben
11/08/2009, 11:24 AM
I tried to take them off with a pair of needlenose pliers like the directions said but it ruined the head on the screws. I finally got them off with a pair of vise grips, but in the process I broke two of the screw heads. I cant get the broken screws out so I think I just ruined my pump :(

tkeracer619
11/08/2009, 11:37 AM
If the screws are not threaded onto anything I suggest trying to tap the screws out with a nail and hammer.

Otherwise send the pump to reeflo or take it to the machine shop in Mooresville.

herpboyben
11/08/2009, 04:56 PM
thats the problem, the screws that snapped are screwed into the motor housing.

psychostieg
11/08/2009, 05:41 PM
If you go to sears hardware, they have a special bit set that is for tapping screws that are messed up. Just go in, and tell them that you have a screw that is stuck with a stripped out head. I believe that the bit set runs between 15 and 30bucks. Let me know how it works out. I'm about to replace the seal on my dart too..... Should be fun...

dahenley
11/08/2009, 05:43 PM
here is a link on how to replace the seals in a reeflo pump.
http://www.melevsreef.com/dart_seals.html

as for the screws. you need to find out if they are Metric or SAE. you can take it to a local electric motor shop. (there is usually a shop that rebuilds starters alternators and misc other electric motors) or you can see how faithull you are with your own abilities and drill out the screw and retap it. (being a mechanic, i wouldnt have a problem doing it for myself) they dont have to be perfect because the holes on the housing are slotted so it will be fine.

i hope that helps you.....

dahenley
11/08/2009, 05:47 PM
the screw extractor's that sears sells are fine for bolts and screws unless they are seized in something. then the only way is to drill and tap.
you can try the 30$ extractor kit, but go ahead and pick up the right bit and tap. (if the extractor works for you, then return the others. chances are you will use them though)

luther1200
11/08/2009, 06:02 PM
You need screw extractors with left hand drill bits. Drill a tiny hole in the center of the screw with the left hand drill bits. Sometimes the screw will catch on the bit and come right out. Thats why you need left hand bits, a regular bit will tighten it more if it catches. You can do it with regular bits if you can't find the others though, (its just a lot easier with LH bits). Once you have the hole drilled just put the extractr in the hole and turn it and the screw should come out.

herpboyben
11/08/2009, 07:37 PM
okay il try the the left hand bit.

scottwhitson
11/08/2009, 07:43 PM
Chances are if you twisted the screws off they are siezed in there pretty tight and the extractors are not going to work. Take dahenley advice and pick up the next bigger size drill bit and tap.

luther1200
11/08/2009, 07:51 PM
But there is no harm in trying to get it out first.

scottwhitson
11/08/2009, 07:54 PM
Very true just trying to save a trip to the store.

dahenley
11/09/2009, 07:48 AM
good luck and let us know