PDA

View Full Version : ACAN Help

Almondsaz
11/08/2009, 01:10 PM
I have a 125 with a 35 gallon sump. 4x96watt PC (Actinic/Daylight). I use Tropic Marin Pro Salt and have since I started without issues.

I started to collect acan frags and recently have started to loose some. Their tissue starts to receed and then disappears, after about 2 months. My water parameters are as follows: Temp 80.2, PH 8.31, ORP 313, Salt 1.025, Nitrate-Amonia-Phosphates all 0, Nitrate 15, Calcium 460 and dkh is only 5.

I have two Phosphan reactors running GFO and Carbon.

Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I dose is Iodine once a week.

The majority of what I keep is softies, anems and LPS. I have a wrasse collection but the acans are left alone.

Appreciate any thoughts on what might be happening. Will post some pics in a little while.

newbie916
11/08/2009, 01:36 PM
How often do you do water changes? I usually use Reef Crystals or Red Sea salt because it has a lot of additional trace elements. I don't have to dose my 24 gallon because I do weekly 5-10 gallon water changes. My 95 gallon I dose different trace elements because I do water changes every other week.

Check your magnesium levels and you might want to start dosing strontium. Some salts don't have enough concentration of magnesium and strontium.

How often do you feed your acans? I feed mine 3 times per week and I switch between mysis, krill, and silversides.

Your KH seems a little low and it should be around 9. You could use a alk buffer to get it up.

Good luck

Almondsaz
11/08/2009, 02:12 PM
newbie916 thanks for the reply. I typically do a 15 gallon water change about every two weeks and I realize the norm is 15-20%, but I still do just 15. I have the strontium and I am reading an article CHEMISTRY AND THE AQUARIUM by RANDY HOLMES-FARLEY to make sure I raise the dkh appropriately. I heard that acans thrive when the mag levels are well maintained but I haven't got a test kit for mag yet to see what my levels are. I don't like to dose unless I test for it. My exception is the iodine as I sparingly dose just the once a week for the softies.

I feed the acans at least three times a week. It is a combination of mysis, krill and brine shrimp and I fortify it. Never been able to feed them with silversides. My duncans love silversides - but my acans just aren't of the size yet.

Again, really appreciate the input! I am still learning as I have only been in the hobby/addiciton for a little over three years now.

Ajsim1
11/08/2009, 02:44 PM
I would say that your KH is way too low, and that is probably causing the tissue loss with your acans...

Try to get it up to around 8 or higher and try to keep it stable

Almondsaz
11/08/2009, 02:56 PM
I realize that is what I need to do, just checking out how to do it. I have read the article about the Baking Soda method...just want to make sure. Any ideas?

Ajsim1
11/08/2009, 05:29 PM
I use KH plus from Gro-Tech to raise the KH in my tank, but i've also used Salifert KH plus...

I think it's easyer and a lot safer for you to raise it with KH plus from any well known brand available instead of baking soda... It usually sais on the bottles how to raise the KH and the maximum you can raise it daily...

I always raise the KH with half the recommended dose on the bottle just to be on the safe side...

Almondsaz
11/08/2009, 06:00 PM
I tried the baking soda and have to say I am shocked. The dkh is up to 7, but the acans are out and full again. I am really shocked. Will have to order the KH plus, will look on MD and see if they have it. Thanks for the replies and the help!

jameswredzinak
11/08/2009, 06:57 PM
The dKH is definitely too low. The two Acan frags I purchased in June 2009 have thrived and doubled in size with the following parameters:
Nitrate: 10ppm
Calcium: 420ppm
Alk: 9dKH

Along with feeding brine/mysis shrimp 2-3 times each week.

Almondsaz
11/08/2009, 07:10 PM
I ordered the Bionic 2 part from MD and will dose that once I get things back in order. Will test each day to see what changes. For now, as I metioned earlier - after the baking soda it is at least up to 7 and I will dose again tomorrow and hopefully have it up to 9. I am so releaved to see the acans opening up and fattening up.