PDA

View Full Version : ZeroWater purifier

Pylon
11/08/2009, 02:13 PM
I just saw a commercial for zerowater pitcher?
It guarantees on your TDS meter it'll read zero.
Has anyone else seen or does anyone else use this for your tank?
I"m about to get ito the hobby and don't want to spend a lot on a RO/DI, if this is a better solution, and cheaper, I may do this. Just wanted your thoughts and experience with it.

I think I put this in the wrong forum, it should probably go in the filtration section. My apologies, could anyone move it?

animan
11/08/2009, 02:41 PM
Interesting product. If TDS is indeed zero, cant think of why it would not be suitable for reefkeeping.
Thanks for sharing.

bertoni
11/08/2009, 05:56 PM
It's probably just a DI filter. I'd expect it to be fairly expensive to use over the long haul. I read a review that complained of the expense; I'm not surprised. You could get a DI system that uses rechargeable or at least standard DI media, and save a fair amount of money.

luther1200
11/08/2009, 06:28 PM
It is just a resin filter like DI or Purigen or something. It makes a very small amount of water. Not nearly enough for a reef tank. You will be ebuying filters like crazy. Do yourself a favor and get a RO/DI as soon as you can. I put it off for about a year, and once I got 1 it made life so much easier and cheaper.

There is a web site about it. It say how much water you will get depending on incoming TDS. If it was around 100 TDS I think you got 30 maybe 40 gallons. But I don't know how much the filters cost.

luther1200
11/08/2009, 06:31 PM
http://www.zerowater.com/tds_chart/

TheH
11/08/2009, 08:35 PM
Yes it is just the DI filter. You could do the same thing with your RODI filter and just have the tap water go into your DI filter directly (and bypass the sediment, carbon, and RO filters). It will come out zero ppm but use up your filter something crazy.

I think a 10" DI filter with 250ppm water would last 20-30 gallons maybe? I remember reading something like that.

Randy Holmes-Farley
11/09/2009, 07:29 AM
The big advantage (but not the only one) of having an RO/DI over DI only is the the DI resins are expensive (unless you recharge them yourself) and with an RO the DI will last 10-50 times as long.

sedor
11/09/2009, 07:44 AM
Not to mention RODI filters are not all that expensive...
I'd be worried about the time it takes to make pure water with that filter. Even with an RODI it takes hours to produce 5 gallons.