PDA

View Full Version : Cryptic Zone Filtration

S2minute
11/08/2009, 08:31 PM
Hi Folks, i`ll try to post all this here. In case this does not work just follow this link to see the pics of what i`m trying. Let me know what ya think :).

www.saltwatervt.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=948

ok, here it goes folks, quality is lacking, it will get better. This is part of a system orriginated by Steve Tyree. It`s called "The Environmental Gradient" based on Cryptic Sponge and Sea Squirt Models". Steve asked his readers to modify and expirement to see if it could be improved.....so i am attempting just that.I`m currently living in the home that im building and saw this as a perfect oppertunity to try this setup for my new tank, which is a 175 gal RR Bow Front.

As you walk in the fish tank room, you see the tap water filtrtion and auto top-off systems. This consists of a 15gpd ro/di unit which feeds to the 32 gal white bucket for fresh makeup and the 150 rubbermaid sump for top off.Here is th old standard 150 gal tank used as the Semi-cryptic and Cryptic zones. Note the black plactic 2/3rds the way up the tank. Pictured also is the 20 gal reverse photo Cheto mounted above and gravity fed to the cryptic tank. The Cryptic tank itself is gravity fed to the main display. On the floor is the 150 rubbermaid with a prototype ETSS 600. Still has the "pat pending #on it from when we were making them in Garys basement .This is a shot of the backside of the cryptic tank. The rock here is suspended off of the DSB which is 6-8". The DSB is devided into 12 compartments which after 2-3 years i can change out one compartment per month untill it is completely replaced. This is a ETSS 600. It`s rated for 300 gal max. My system net water volume is approx 430 gals. I specifically wanted this to be undersized to ensure the cryptic tanks gets proper nutrients.Here is part of the plumbing.Skimmer is a Gen-x 40 and the system pump is a iswaki 70rlt. The return line has a tee off to the cryptic and again to 3 Phos-ban reactors.This is the guts of the electrical 2 homemade MH ballast boxes powering 3 -250w Iwasaki and 4 PC 96w,(2 03 and 2 7100k blue. The lights and heaters are controled via an AC3 with 2 DC8s and 1 DC4HD.1134w of light in a custommade hood with spiderlite reflectors. I decided to put the hood on a rail system to ease maintinance.The display tank is the last addition to the system. I`ts almost 2 months old, has no fish yet, just snails a few hermits, old rock and new cured rock all from Indo. As i stated in a prior post, the hair and cayno are nearly all gone with no use of chems or scrubbing. I had even increased the photo period by 2 hours. As u can see the display is bare bottom with 1/4" starboard, clear acrylic tube for posts, supporting a cvpvc pipe elevated reef platform. I used One-component high expansion foam to hide the pipe...eh, i thought i was send BLACK but already coralline algae is overgrwing it.This Colonial Tunicate Sp.??? just appeared and is spreading fast.Turnover is assisted by 2 Tunze 6080s in a laminar flow strong current on top, moderate on bottom lower in the middle. The bare bottom and current helps keep POM in suspension and in the semi-exposed zone,(under the reef flat), hopefully most of the filter feeders will reside...my POM scrubber . Well that`s it for now, i hope you found it interesting. I will update when i can . Feel free to ask what you want .
nomadic