PDA

View Full Version : DIY sump

shelby.elrod
11/08/2009, 09:04 PM
i would like plans to build a sump with refugium on 1 side, skimmer on the other and return in middle. im just having a hard time under standing the pluming

uncleof6
11/08/2009, 10:13 PM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1735474

Keelay
11/08/2009, 10:42 PM
I've got some sump ideas on my reef diy website:

http://www.reefworkshop.com/DIY_sumpdesign1.htm

shelby.elrod
11/09/2009, 06:58 PM
why do u have the return t off into the refugium?

shelby.elrod
11/09/2009, 06:59 PM
also how do set up the baffles?

uncleof6
11/09/2009, 07:20 PM
why do u have the return t off into the refugium?

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1728081&highlight=Flow+control

Jim

uncleof6
11/09/2009, 07:33 PM
also how do set up the baffles?

The footprint of the skimmer dictates the size of the skimmer section. The bubble trap height is an average 9", most are in the range 8" - 10", but consult the destructions for your skimmer. The "fuge" should be 10% of the DT volume. (trying to set a standard on this) All of this tells you where the baffles need to be and how high the should be.

Again, these ideas or not original. The sumps are Melev's designs. The only place I disagree with Melev, is the plumbing to the "fuge."

Jim

cutnup
11/09/2009, 08:49 PM
You dont want to feed the refugium with dirty tank water. The refugium will just turn into a detritus trap. Tee off the return and feed the fuge wuth water that has gone through a filter sock and protein skimmer. Best way to do it...
Click my name and go to my build thread a guy was nice enough to explain it to me. Tank has been running for just under a year. No complaints...

Keelay
11/10/2009, 01:35 AM
The "fuge" should be 10% of the DT volume. (trying to set a standard on this)

Jim

Just curious, why 10% of the display volume for the refugium? What is wrong with the refugium being as large as you have space (with a 10% minimum)?

Thanks,

Kyle,

uncleof6
11/10/2009, 02:55 AM
Just curious, why 10% of the display volume for the refugium? What is wrong with the refugium being as large as you have space (with a 10% minimum)?

Thanks,

Kyle,

Well due to circumstances beyond my control, the word minimum was dropped from this evenings festivities.....so it did not make it into the post.....however, if the fuge is big and the return section is small then you gotta make the fuge smaller........

Keelay
11/10/2009, 03:12 AM
Ok cool. I was just curious what your take was. Yeah I always start with the skimmer section and make sure my skimmer (and several other models) will fit as well just to be sure I'm not stuck with my setup forever. The next is planning evaporation. If the return section is to handle evap then yes it needs to be large. Large enough for your sanity.

If you can and I highly recommend it. Plan an auto top off. The benefits are:

+ Significant capability to handle evap. Vacation just became an option.
+ The Return section can be tiny. Just big enough for your return pump.
+ The refugium gets all the extra room.
+ You can potentially remove all water falls in the sump (This takes a little more planning with the skimmer section). If you don't have water falls you don't need bubble traps. That is more extra refugium room. If you don't have water falls,m you have very little salt spray. If you have very little salt spray you have less to clean. Without water falls the sump is a LOT quieter.

To remove all water falls, the skimmer will have to implement a spray bar on it's outlet and the return from the display will need a reverse durso or bubble tower.

Anyways, I'm rambling...but having a large a fuge as possible, no noise, and very little cleanup has made me very happy with my sump. That is my $0.02

Kyle

uncleof6
11/10/2009, 03:55 AM
Ok cool. I was just curious what your take was. Yeah I always start with the skimmer section and make sure my skimmer (and several other models) will fit as well just to be sure I'm not stuck with my setup forever. The next is planning evaporation. If the return section is to handle evap then yes it needs to be large. Large enough for your sanity.

If you can and I highly recommend it. Plan an auto top off. The benefits are:

+ Significant capability to handle evap. Vacation just became an option.
+ The Return section can be tiny. Just big enough for your return pump.
+ The refugium gets all the extra room.
+ You can potentially remove all water falls in the sump (This takes a little more planning with the skimmer section). If you don't have water falls you don't need bubble traps. That is more extra refugium room. If you don't have water falls,m you have very little salt spray. If you have very little salt spray you have less to clean. Without water falls the sump is a LOT quieter.

To remove all water falls, the skimmer will have to implement a spray bar on it's outlet and the return from the display will need a reverse durso or bubble tower.

Anyways, I'm rambling...but having a large a fuge as possible, no noise, and very little cleanup has made me very happy with my sump. That is my $0.02

Kyle

Well if it is any consolation, I disagree with just about every point you made. :)

J

Keelay
11/10/2009, 05:54 AM
It's not conventional, I'll admit. But I other than having to build it myself, I haven't experienced any down sides.

Kyle

rswood1
11/10/2009, 07:07 PM
Check out Meleeves reef for ideas.