PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in a public aquarium

BlennyBabe
11/09/2009, 05:34 PM
Hello,
I work at Point Defiance Zoo and Aquarium in Tacoma Wa, and we are brainstorming ideas for changes to our Seahorses exhibit. We have several tanks that we would like to revamp ranging from 400-1200 gallons. We are looking for tanks that would be easy to apply a message to (the theme for the area is Seahorses: Its all connected, or something like that) We currently have: a weedy seadragon tank,
clownfish exhibit with live coral,
shrimpfish tank with live coral,
trumpetfish tank with live coral,
horseshoe crab tank with fake grass,
dwarf seahorse tank with fake grass and gorgonians,
potbelly seahorse tank with fake grass,
pipefish tank with live coral,
two H. erectus tanks with artificial coral,
caribbean fish only with fake corals, plants and sponge, and
Leafy Seadragon tank.

I would like to add some variety of shapes and colors of fish. Eventually the seadragons will be phased out and their tanks converted to a dramatic fish tank or a full out reef. I have lots to work with here, and the sky is the limit. Funding is another matter, but we will discus that later.

What exhibits have you enjoyed in the past at other aquariums? We can go atlantic or pacific and have the skills to maintain many dificult species.

Photos are always appreciated!

Thanks
Rachel

elegance coral
11/09/2009, 07:15 PM
I think you should focus on changing over to more natural systems. Pick up some captively propagated E. quadracolor anemones for the clowns. It may not be the natural host of the species of clown that you have, but it's environmentally friendly. Change the fake plants for real ones. People don't want to go to the aquarium to see fake plants. Concentrate on building environments that closely resemble those where the animals would be found in the wild.

rc4kinu
11/09/2009, 07:49 PM
+1 on natural systems. Even though it was a little small the Waikiki Aquarium had the best seagrass biotope and an awesome reef.

Teelabrown
11/09/2009, 10:28 PM
Some of the most interesting exhibits I've seen are ones where they work towards, (or accidentally achieve) active breeding stock. Nothing makes a kid (or a Teela) squeal more than baby fishies. Dwarf seahorses are supposed to be easy to breed and are adorable. More research into how to get more species tank-raised would be invaluable.

rswood1
11/10/2009, 06:59 PM
Shark systems.

RockinSmall
11/10/2009, 07:00 PM
Loch Ness Monster

Playa-1
11/10/2009, 07:06 PM
I think a Mermaid would be pretty cool :)

RockinSmall
11/10/2009, 07:14 PM
oh my god.. YES!!!! a mermaid! I ordered two from Live Aquaria last week. a male and a female.

username in use
11/10/2009, 07:16 PM
Whatever you end up doing, keep the focus of the original idea, whatever it is, and execute it in a way that is sustainable and simple. One of the best displays Ive ever seen is a 2000g clownfish anemone tank at Atlantis Marine World. They also have a 20,000g full blown reef which is stunning, but Im always drawn to the movement and color of the anemone tank.

This is as simple a setup as it gets.

Live rock
big skimmer
sand filter
3 - 1000w halides
A lot of flow coming from a pair of 1inch sea swirls.
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/JuicyBone/atlantis010.jpg

Logzor
11/10/2009, 07:20 PM
I would like to see a full blown sps (acropora) tank. There would be educational material on the habitat (temperature, chemistry, flow, etc), how the coral feeds, and reproduction.

There could be some buttons you could press that would light up a powerful spot light onto certain corals, then reveal information about them.

RockinSmall
11/10/2009, 07:24 PM
ive always wanted to see a crazy garden eel tank system

deladarkstep
11/10/2009, 07:34 PM
I was just at a local aquarium and was very upset when I saw fake plants etc in some of the smaller boxfish and seahorse tanks, It's the last thing I expected to see.

I also agree that when there's breeding and/or everythings as natural as possible it brings the kids and adults alike :).

EDIT notice the fake plants in the left backround. sorry for blurry picture :-phttp://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/thedarkstep/aquarium012.jpg

Paco
11/10/2009, 08:55 PM
ive always wanted to see a crazy garden eel tank system

<hijack>

Georgia Aquarium

</hijack>

I've been to a few top notch aquariums: Georgia, National (Baltimore), Niagara, Seaquarium (Miami). What seems to be lacking in all is a commitment to large scale SPS growth. I suspect, though, that this is because people want to see fish predominantly. My $0.02.

deladarkstep
11/10/2009, 09:02 PM
<hijack>

Georgia Aquarium

</hijack>

I've been to a few top notch aquariums: Georgia, National (Baltimore), Niagara, Seaquarium (Miami). What seems to be lacking in all is a commitment to large scale SPS growth. I suspect, though, that this is because people want to see fish predominantly. My $0.02.

I agree, I know someone who had a FO saltwater tank and asked me why the coral in a display tank at the LFS wasnt white like normal. Which imho translates to " most people don't realize what coral is therefor they don't appreciate it" So it might be a matter of business and ROI since a highly demanding reef (in terms of business) has less value than a FO tank. If it's more simple (cheaper) and has a higher ROI it would be stupid to house one. Now if the aquarium is fully funded by the GOVT or private party to be 100% educational or for scientific value this point is not valid.

phizzle
11/10/2009, 09:21 PM
natural set up with aquacultured sps's and etc w/ LED lighting to save on elec bill and save $ in the long run

jjk_reef00
11/10/2009, 09:56 PM
Some of the most interesting exhibits I've seen are ones where they work towards, (or accidentally achieve) active breeding stock. Nothing makes a kid (or a Teela) squeal more than baby fishies. Dwarf seahorses are supposed to be easy to breed and are adorable. More research into how to get more species tank-raised would be invaluable.

+1 I want to see a mated pair of large angel fish, queen angels, or emps.

phil519
11/10/2009, 10:04 PM
I was just at a local aquarium and was very upset when I saw fake plants etc in some of the smaller boxfish and seahorse tanks, It's the last thing I expected to see.

off-topic - but kinda related - was this at adventure aquarium in camden? or one of the small places along the jersey shore. just wondering.

phil519
11/10/2009, 10:14 PM
I've been to the Seattle Aquarium and the display there tends to focus on the pacific northwest (logical). There was also a salmon run display and grow-out for juvies that are released into the ocean. The touch pools they have are also a great feature for the kids.

Then again - maybe you want to be different from seattle so...

At the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago they had a "behind the scenes" kinda display where they showed the grow-out tank of tank-raised Clowns.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/buyerny/IMG_2577.jpg

deladarkstep
11/11/2009, 02:23 AM
off-topic - but kinda related - was this at adventure aquarium in camden? or one of the small places along the jersey shore. just wondering.

this was at Jenkinsons aquarium @ point pleasant boardwalk. yes on the Jersey shore, central NJ

stylolvr
11/11/2009, 06:43 AM
I would like to see a full blown sps (acropora) tank. There would be educational material on the habitat (temperature, chemistry, flow, etc), how the coral feeds, and reproduction.

There could be some buttons you could press that would light up a powerful spot light onto certain corals, then reveal information about them.

+1

I've always thought that a forrest of stags and tabling acros (efflos, etc.) make a really beautiful display, while giving plenty of room for fish to move around. Leonardo's Formosa Forest, http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216333&highlight=formosa+forrest, is a really neat example of a stag forest, although on a much smaller scale than what you have available.

A natural biotope seems to be the best way to educate those who think that natural coral should be sparkly white! I can't wait to see what you decide!

username in use
11/11/2009, 06:57 AM
What seems to be lacking in all is a commitment to large scale SPS growth. I suspect, though, that this is because people want to see fish predominantly. My $0.02.

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/JuicyBone/atlantis035.jpg

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu188/JuicyBone/atlantis037.jpg

I think 20,000g sps reef is pretty large scale.:spin1: And plenty of fishys for the kids.

phil519
11/11/2009, 07:39 PM
this was at Jenkinsons aquarium @ point pleasant boardwalk. yes on the Jersey shore, central NJ

ah thanks - been there - and my expectations were so low i didn't make much of it...haha.

username - is that the tank in atlantis? Really beautiful. I didn't get a chance to listen to Joe Yaiullo talk when he came down to MACNA XXI. I read in Coral Magazine how he personally dives in that tank to do maintenance...what a fantastic job he has done.

username in use
11/11/2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah, thats atlantis. If your ever in the area you have to check it out, its unreal. Joes a great guy, and has done an amazing job with that tank. The anemone/clown tank that I posted earlier is from atlantis as well.

khaosinc
11/11/2009, 08:18 PM
Being that you are up here where they can be found. (I'm about 100 miles north). A pacific giant octopus tank might perk peoples interest.

I think I'm supposed to be dragged down that way soon for family dinner, might have to come in and check everything out. I didn't even know there was another aquarium besides the Seattle one in this area.

Ev's Reef
11/11/2009, 08:38 PM
A large tank that focuses on SPS corals, with lots of tangs.:bounce3:

Elysia
11/12/2009, 02:00 PM
You may want to post in one of the seahorse dedicated forums as well, like seahorse.org. Sorry to hear that you are getting rid of your leafies -- most people really flock to tanks with them.

Baltimore is my "local" aquarium and I have been there many many times. I agree that the fake plants and corals can be a bit of a bummer, although I do understand why they are used, both in public and private aquariums.

I think that symbiotic relationships are very interesting, especially to kids. I think that they illustrate nicely how things (that you might not think about) are connected. I also think that people like to see animals that they can relate to themselves. So seeing a fish like a jawfish "build" a home makes more of an impression than perhaps a beautiful tang swimming in more open water -- because the jawfish's "bedding down" lifestyle is much more "normal" to westerners than the tang's nomadic existance. People would likely find cleaner fish and shrimp very interesting, as well -- pinnacles similar to those that the shrimp often solicitate at in the wild could be set up, and I suppose, if necessary, those areas could always be filmed and projected in real time so that they were easier to see.

The garden eel tank at the Georgia Aquarium was one of my favorite tanks anywhere. And I would love to see more pipefish in public aquariums. Just some ideas off the top of my head. Good luck.

Terence Trent
11/12/2009, 02:20 PM
I would love to see a taller Red Sea tank mimicking a drop off full of lytriel anthais.