PDA

View Full Version : Better light fixture? T5 HO vs. PC

cital
11/09/2009, 11:00 PM
Which light fixture is better, Current USA Orbit 24" 2x65w or Currrent USA Nova Extreme 24" 4x24w T5 HO??? I know the PC fixture has more watts, but does that make it a better/stronger light over the T5's??? I want to do a tank with mainly mushrooms and zoo's, maybe some LPS but no SPS so I don't think I need MH. Thanks for any input.

jenglish
11/09/2009, 11:03 PM
T5HO, bulbs last 3x longer and have many more color options available. Now that Nova's have individualish reflectors it is probably going to put out more light even with less watts

sanddune600
11/09/2009, 11:03 PM
I would def. say the t5 setup I have a frag rack below my tank with same amount of t5s and grow any sps I want down there with great color and growth so even if you want some sps later you have the option

Moebuis
11/09/2009, 11:04 PM
Since you sound like you definately don't want SPS for this tank, I think the T5 would be better because the bulbs will last longer than the PC bulbs saving you money in the long run. You will also have more options as far as what color you want the lighting to be.

Now, if there's any chance of you getting higher light demanding corals, I'd look into a fixture that uses individual reflectors. I think the Nova Extreme Pro uses them but a lot of T5'ers out there like Tek fixtures.

cital
11/09/2009, 11:31 PM
T5HO, bulbs last 3x longer and have many more color options available. Now that Nova's have individualish reflectors it is probably going to put out more light even with less watts

Do all the Nova fixtures have individual reflectors or just the extreme PRO? I'm not sure the nova extreme has individual reflectors? Current USA does not make a 24" PRO, I really wish they did. I know they have a 20", but not a 24".

jenglish
11/09/2009, 11:56 PM
Do all the Nova fixtures have individual reflectors or just the extreme PRO? I'm not sure the nova extreme has individual reflectors? Current USA does not make a 24" PRO, I really wish they did. I know they have a 20", but not a 24".

IIRC correctly Nova introduced a low quality trapazoid individual reflector for the base model. Not on par with a Tek parabolic reflector but individual none the less.

Moebuis
11/10/2009, 12:15 AM

Wow, I think you are right. That's nuts that they skip a common dimension like that. However, ReefGeek has good prices on the 24" Tek lights which is a better light with higher quality reflectors.

However, I don't think you'd really need the output provided if you are definately not going with light demanding corals like SPS. I got tired of buying over again so i always make my purchase for my "next" upgrade :)

Hokie-Dave
11/10/2009, 10:09 AM

The 4x39watt Current Nova Extreme that I just got has the individually contoured reflectors. It is basically one sheet of reflector material bent around each bulb in a VVVV pattern. The one gripe I have with this unit is the noisy fan. My next project will be taking it apart to find out what size the fan is and find a quieter one since the tank is in my bedroom. I unfortunately have nothing to compare this to, since it is my first lighting purchase in 15 years for a reef tank.

dave

vames
11/10/2009, 10:18 AM
Current's nomenclature is a bit confusing. The Nova Extreme is one reflector, NOT invidually contoured. The Nova Extreme Pro (NEP is a common abbrev.) has one piece of metal, but it's "individually contoured" (bent) in the VVVV pattern Dave mentions. This is much better than not countoured (the plain Nova extreme) but true individual reflectors are better. If you want maximum flexibility, it'd be in your best bet to get a reasonably nice T5 setup (MUCH better than PC). Current NEP is probably the "budget"iest one that I'd recommend, and there are much nicer (but more expensive) ones available. The Grim Reefer has a great page here http://sites.google.com/site/tfivetesting/ with some info.

Hope that helps.

Hokie-Dave
11/10/2009, 10:42 AM
Current's nomenclature is a bit confusing. The Nova Extreme is one reflector, NOT invidually contoured. The Nova Extreme Pro (NEP is a common abbrev.) has one piece of metal, but it's "individually contoured" (bent) in the VVVV pattern Dave mentions. This is much better than not countoured (the plain Nova extreme) but true individual reflectors are better. If you want maximum flexibility, it'd be in your best bet to get a reasonably nice T5 setup (MUCH better than PC). Current NEP is probably the "budget"iest one that I'd recommend, and there are much nicer (but more expensive) ones available. The Grim Reefer has a great page here http://sites.google.com/site/tfivetesting/ with some info.

Hope that helps.

The older Nova Extremes are not individually contoured, but the newer ones are. Here is the product page for the Nova Extreme. http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html

vames
11/10/2009, 10:44 AM
The older Nova Extremes are not individually contoured, but the newer ones are. Here is the product page for the Nova Extreme. http://www.current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html

So it's even more confusing than I thought! :lol: Thanks Dave, and sorry OP, for the somewhat bad info....