PDA

View Full Version : Low flow systems

r-balljunkie
11/10/2009, 01:57 PM
Need some opinions here. In an arguement with someone on whether you need xxx gallons thru a fuge. I ran a 125 gallon tank with about 450 to 500 gallon/hr(mag5). I am a big proponent of low flow systems.

Is anyone else running a low flow system with success.

Any arguement on why you have to have higher flow thru the fuge?

C

luther1200
11/10/2009, 02:11 PM
I would base my flow on the skimmer if its in the same sump. If not I prefer a higher flow through the fuge than most recommend. I have about 500-600 gph through my fuge on my 65. Which most people will say is way to much. But I always grew Macro algae fantastic until just recently, because I am dosing a carbon source and it has lowered the nutrients so low. The Caulerpa is still hanging in there but the Cheato isn't looking to good. But its has nothing to do with the flow for me.

seapug
11/10/2009, 03:02 PM
My 90 runs about 350 gph through the return. Controllable powerheads in the tank keep the current strong there. I have a Koralia 2 in my fuge (18 gallon section of a 40 breeder sump.

I agree that total system turnover through a return doesn't need to be super strong, but it's recommended to keep strong flow in sump/refugium with a DSB. Strong flow over a DSB improves advective flow through the sand and keeps it from becoming a stale detritus trap/hydrogen sulfide timebomb.

r-balljunkie
11/11/2009, 09:00 PM
I still haven't heard any counter arguements for not running a hi flow systems. FYI, skimmer is rated for 200 gallons, heavy load in sump. Can someone tell me you need 1500 gph running thru the sump to have a successful reef

jayk198030
11/11/2009, 09:06 PM
i try to have a low flow through my sumps. tank flow- i judge my corals reactions.

ScooterGuitar
11/11/2009, 09:07 PM
I have recently been interested in this same thing. I have always ran lots of flow through my sump/fuge, but think I need to downsize.
So if my skimmer's pump (Sedra 3500) is rated at 350, then my return pump should be roughly the same, not twice as much...is this correct? Meaning, my skimmer is only working on half of the water opposed to most of it?

Crazy Cracker
11/11/2009, 10:00 PM
You may skim more uneaten food off of the surface of the DT with a higher flow return pump as opposed to one with a lower flow that may allow it to fall to the bottom.

Also, if your skimmer discharges into the same chamber it sits in, it may recycle some of its own "clean" water if the supply of "dirty" water from the DT is too slow. That's a non-issue if your skimmer pump is closely matched to the flow of your return pump and it discharges into a separate chamber.

r-balljunkie
11/11/2009, 11:42 PM
FWIW, this is the skimmer that is running in the sump

http://www.nuocean.com/skimmers/bubble-magus-bm200p-skimmer.html

the return pump is a mag5 in a 125G. i ran the system for a year, no problems. the guy i sold the system to, is wanting to modify piping, possibly redrill the tank. i am trying to talk some sense into him, saying not necessary