PDA

View Full Version : Tuxedo Urchin has holes in it...help!

Birdfli
11/10/2009, 02:02 PM
I noticed today my Tuxedo Urchin has 3 holes in it. It is still alive right now and on the side glass. I have had it for several months now. I think I know what might have happened to it...I was cleaning & rearranging rocks a few days ago & when I got done noticed that the urchin looked like he was wedged between 2 rocks. So I lifted the rock & got it out from between them. Not sure if he was stuck or not...just looked like it was.

Everything was fine...still all over the tank. But today I noticed the holes & it doesn't seem to be eating since observations this morning. But is moving slowly.

Is it going to died a slow death? If so, should I get it out of the tank now?

Thanks

Birdfli
11/10/2009, 03:03 PM
Bump

Birdfli
11/10/2009, 04:08 PM
Anyone?

Urchinhead
11/10/2009, 04:20 PM
I can't tell from the photos what might have happened. Would you please post some shots that have more of the urchin's body in them with less focus on the holes themselves? In general though if the urchin is still picking stuff up on its body, moving around, hasn't dropped its spines, extending feeder tentacles, and is eating it should be ok. Try pinning a bit of nori near it and in its path of motion and see if it eats...

Most important sign that its on the way out would be that it begins to shed its spines. You see that and its time to euthanize the urchin because nursing them back to health from that point is very very difficult.

Birdfli
11/10/2009, 04:46 PM
It is losing spines now & the hole is looking worse. But still hanging on the glass...not eating though.

Urchinhead
11/10/2009, 04:48 PM
Pull it out and euthanize it. It will not recover. Best way is cup of tank water and urchin into the freezer.

Sk8r
11/10/2009, 04:49 PM
Check your tank ph and calcium levels. It may be unrelated to the incident, if the ph/alkalinity/calcium have gotten far off---bad numbers could cause dissolving of the urchin's shell. I'd do a water change for starters, after checking the numbers. They should be ph 7.9, calcium 420, and alk about 8.3-9.3.

Birdfli
11/10/2009, 04:59 PM
Thank you both for ur help. It is in the freezer as we speak.

I don't believe it is do to tank conditions. As I stated in original post "believe i caused it when rearranging my rockwork & found it caught I believe between 2 rocks. So I got it out & didn't notice any holes at that time. It continued around tank for a few days, but this morning I noticed the holes. Been going downhill all day & started losing spins.

Thanks agian.