PDA

View Full Version : is the common atlantic start fish reef safe?

reefD
11/10/2009, 05:05 PM
seen one today and wanted to see if they are reef safe. i found a pic and the exact latin name . its Asterias forbesi and was labeled as a common atlantic blonde seastar. thanks all!

phil519
11/10/2009, 05:28 PM
not if you plan on keeping tridacnid clams or sea urchins. Though if you have a pair of harlequin shrimp - it can be food for them.

ackee
11/10/2009, 07:39 PM
My Triton's Trumpet would also love to have it. I've got a large bag of frozen local starfish just for this beautiful creature, which I brought back from the tropics when it was tiny. It's not tiny anymore.

reefD
11/10/2009, 07:48 PM
so if i dont plan on keeping clams or urchins it would be ok in a reef tank?

Gary Majchrzak
11/10/2009, 08:05 PM
so if i dont plan on keeping clams or urchins it would be ok in a reef tank?
tip: research comapatibilty... not "reef safe".

the starfish you're asking about will eat a wide variety of invertebrates commonly thought of as desirable.

Marklu
11/10/2009, 09:46 PM
I had one before I corals in my tank years ago. Once I put some palys in there he literally just sat on top of them trying to eat them for days. I don't why but he just couldn't do it though. Toxins maybe?

reefD
11/12/2009, 12:53 AM
ok guys im doing an experiment. not like me at all. i added him 6 hrs ago ...he crawled al over my reef tank filled with coral...he settled at the top of tank surface skimming. he crawled over a plate then polyps then mushrooms then lps and just moved on...he showed no intrest as he kept moving until he reached surface and has been skimming surface since.
anyways i will keep an eye on him . like marklu post i dnt see a direct issue. as stated clams and urchins is thier normal diet. again guys i love ur input but lets get direct experience...cuz everyone says they are not reef safe but anyone who has one says they are.

ANYONE HAVE A DIRECT EXPERIENCE OF THEM EATING A REEF ANIMAL OTHER THAN A URCHIN OR CLAM..AKA BI VALVE?
thank you guys! luv the replies!

reefD
11/12/2009, 12:57 AM
tip: research comapatibilty... not "reef safe".

the starfish you're asking about will eat a wide variety of invertebrates commonly thought of as desirable.

agreed gary but can u be specific. i have snails and crabs as inverts that are non sessile. what do they eat that is sessile? i dnt care if they only eat moving inverts like crabs snails ect.. as they normally irritate my corals. what non sessile inverts do they eat!

reefD
11/12/2009, 01:01 AM
again im more concerned with the CORALS! NOT THE INVERTS THAT MOVE. I ONLY HAVE A FEW SNAILS AND CRABS AND DNT CARE ABOUT THEM. im asking more intently about the sessile inverts...aka corals sponges..etc
thanks again all for commenting!

reefD
11/12/2009, 01:04 AM
again if they are not reef safe what do they eat? urchins...clams...understood...anybody placed this starfish in a full blown reef and seen them attack anything other than urchins or clams? experienced info out there?

KimInTN
12/15/2012, 01:05 AM
Did you find out care of him? Where did you get him? Ours is from SC and lived for 1.5 months in a bucket in the kitchen... If you found out anything please share :) I'm new to salt water tanks and set up a 29 gallon for him. I'd love to get a buddy for him if you know where...thanks Kim:wavehand:

TampaTy
08/05/2013, 11:38 AM
Ive had my Asterias forbesi in my 20g for about a month. I have seen him attach to the side of my frogspawn and lay in the middle of zoanthids but no harm has been done that I can see. I about freaked when I saw him laying in the zoanthids like it was a pile of sunflowers or something but they didnt even close up it was like the star wasnt there and when he left it was business as usual .. My opinion they are reef safe

Ty