PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate/Vodka

Sea-nut
11/10/2009, 06:39 PM
I started dosing vodka about a month ago, but the nitrate is much higher now that it was a month ago,I am feeding the same and nothing has died,I always had some problem with nitrate (5-10) but the last time I tested the water (yesterday) it was over 50,tank has been running for 5 years now. I started dosing vodka to bring nitrate down to zero.
Thanks for your help.

nikon187
11/10/2009, 07:38 PM
whens the last time you did a water change? How big is the tank? What fish are in it? need more information to be of any help.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 07:06 AM
last time was 4 days ago,total water is about 125 gallon,10 same fish for last 5 years.

aniceplace
11/11/2009, 07:09 AM
Are you skimming? If so, have you noticed a change in the skimmer production?

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 07:39 AM
Yes. It's skimming more since I started dosing with vodka.

NKYdude
11/11/2009, 10:02 AM
Did u double check your test to make sure that's right? skimmer production should increase.

what's your vodka dosing schedule been for the month?

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 10:12 AM
I've been testing the water just about every day since the problem started and doing 15 gallon water changes every other day. As far as the vodka dosing, I went by the instructions, but I stopped at 2ml per day about 2 weeks ago and haven't increased the dose since.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 11:19 AM
Ammonia and Nitrite staying at zero.should I stop dosing Vodka ?

ginger7286
11/11/2009, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't stop dosing just yet. Did you change salt mixtures recently? You may have a bad batch, although that is rare. I have been dosing vodka for a about 9 months and my nitrates have held steady at about 15 ppm with weekly water changes. I have a heavy bioload, but I will soon be moving my 5 percs into their own tank so that should cure most of my nitrate problems. If you make your own water, maybe your filters need changing. I also started dosing the "brightwell" Micro-bacter (I think that is the name of it, my bottle is in the other room). I have had sharp decrease in my nitrates since using this product. My nitrates went fom 15 ppm to about 5 ppm in a 2 weeks. I target squirt it into my sand bed and then add another dose each week. Good luck.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 12:36 PM
I tested the fresh salt water and it was OK,I checked my RO water and it is good,I changed my salt from Reef Crystal to Kent about 6 months ago,

DT's_Reef
11/11/2009, 12:43 PM
From what I understand about vodka dosing, you probably need to increase your dosage if you maxed at 2ml per day.

There's an article on Reef Central's magazine that details how to dose vodka. I believe it said to increase your dosage by 1.5ml every few days/week until your nitrates begin to decrease, and then possibly scale back adjust dosage when nitrates are where you want them.

Ideally, you want to dose 2x per day, rather than just all at once, although it's not required. I use my Profilux to dose vodka in my 85g and I dose 4ml per day total.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 01:25 PM
I dose 2x per day, 1ml each time; the reason I stopped increasing the dose was that my nitrate levels started climbing. (The vodka was the only different thing that I had been doing).

lilboy88
11/11/2009, 01:34 PM
go to this site it will explain everything about vodka dosing like literally everything http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

NKYdude
11/11/2009, 01:54 PM
yeah if it were me on that size tank i would have continued to increase dosing levels. seems like a few of the 125+ tanks get to 4 or 5 ml/day before the nitrate levels out and starts to drop, at which point u can decrease your dosage by half.

DT's_Reef
11/11/2009, 02:29 PM
I dose 2x per day, 1ml each time; the reason I stopped increasing the dose was that my nitrate levels started climbing. (The vodka was the only different thing that I had been doing).

Some other adjustment is going on there. I would stick with vodka dosing, per the article's instructions and give it more time.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks everyone for your help, I am going to keep adding vodka and do water changes,when they say powerfull skimmer how would I know my skimmer is powerfull enough ?

nikon187
11/11/2009, 05:39 PM
One that is rated for at least double the tank.

redfishsc
11/11/2009, 05:49 PM

Before you make any drastic decisions, get a "second opinion" on that nitrate result.

Old nitrate kits tend to give false high readings (old= a year or so... sometimes even less if they sat in forever storage at the store/warehouse before you bought it)

I recommend you get a new nitrate kit (I like the salifert) or at least a new API kit.

From there make your decisions.

Personally 1mL twice a day of vodka sounds very low. Base your dosage on that article linked above.

Sea-nut
11/11/2009, 07:24 PM
nikon187 My skimmer is Kent Nautilus Terbo it is rated for 300 gallon, that is what they say, I like to buy a better one later but I have to use this for now.

redfishSC My test kit is about 4 years old , I bought a new one but it gave me the same result .
Thanks.