PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have these issues w/ a BC14?

pktech
11/10/2009, 07:22 PM
I come home from work & about every other day, I see the plumes of tiny bubbles being blown out from the outflow into the tank.

Could it be that I need to top off the tank almost daily? Anyone here know what I'm talking about? The water gauge on the side is always below the minimum ... I'm very frustrated as it always wasn't like this ... sorry to vent - any feedback is appreciated!

theyammieguy
11/10/2009, 07:32 PM
Have you looked in the sump where the return pump is and see if your running low?

pktech
11/10/2009, 07:40 PM
yes - the water flows over the "sponge", then into the chamber where the pump resides. clearly the water is not flowing in fast enough or I need to top it off every other day. I didn't have this problem until I removed the bioballs from the center chamber. I've heard of putting live rock rubble in there, but don't know if it's effective ...

theyammieguy
11/10/2009, 07:45 PM
Might try removing the sponge.
I have a jbj 12g nanocube and I don't run the sponge or bio balls. I did have live rock back there but had an infestation of bristle worms so I removed it.

pktech
11/10/2009, 07:47 PM
did you ever get to see if using the rock was better than a standard floss / charcoal filter?

theyammieguy
11/10/2009, 07:48 PM
I never ran the floss or charcoal. I had LR in there for a long time. Probably put it back since I know bristle worms are good for my tank now.

mattskims
11/10/2009, 08:26 PM
I didn't have this problem until I removed the bioballs from the center chamber. I've heard of putting live rock rubble in there, but don't know if it's effective ...

If you removed the bioballs what do you have in the second chamber? Have you widened the overflow between chamber 1 and 2?

pktech
11/10/2009, 09:27 PM
If you removed the bioballs what do you have in the second chamber? Have you widened the overflow between chamber 1 and 2?

I threw some floss in there along with a charcaol bag (small) & a small bag of phos-guard. BTW i'm a noob, so I'm still learning ...

youpey
11/11/2009, 07:44 AM
i had this just yesterday. when the water gets too low in chamber 3, it sucks up air with the water causing the bubbles. the fix is to put in more water (whether it be salt or regular is up to what your testing kit shows for salinity.

mattskims
11/11/2009, 07:21 PM
If you have removed the bioballs from chamber 2, you should consider widening the overflow between chambers 1 and 2 then making chamber 2 a fuge. After doing this, you also would be able to fill chamber 3 as high as you like (I fill it to the top of the return elbow and use it as my reference point for topoffs)

Flipper62
11/12/2009, 01:51 AM
The Oceanic BioCube ( as well as the others ) Were designed as a fresh water / salt water system. These companies dont know how or what your going to do with it. Thats why they set them up the way that they do.

I can tell you...that if your going to keep it as a small reef tank.......Scrap the stock slide in filter.....& the BioBalls.

shadowbearwv
11/12/2009, 03:46 AM
I'm currently running the Biocube 28g and I went a slightly different way. I ignored the min and max lines and filled each chamber all the way full and then bought a cheap Auto Top Off system to keep the water level constant. I removed all the filtration that came with the cube and just run Purigen and a poly filter stuck vertically in the middle chamber.

I was having too many issues with the Biocube "slip in filter" and sponge clogging and was rinsing them out daily.

Hope this helps, pretty new here too.

SB

AwkwardParrot
11/12/2009, 06:31 AM
In the BC14, scrape the black paint off the back with a rasor blade (its glass don't worry, just don't cut the sylicone on the bottom). Next, remove the stock media and compartments from the middle chamber and put LR pieces in there (not too much you want water to flow). Next put some chaeto in there and a little light behind it, wich will put you well on you way. Next, remove the stock pump and put a maxi-jet 900 or 1200 in there for flow. Finally, you can fill your cube and all chambers as high as they can go/you feel comfortable. Good luck and lets us

pktech
11/12/2009, 07:33 PM
thanks everyone! When you say "widen" the chamber - are you saying to take out the wall between 1 & 2? Isn't one "molded" piece? I did buy this used & didn't get the manual ...

mattskims
11/12/2009, 07:50 PM
It is one molded piece....use an utility knife or heated blade....basically you are just doubling the opening that currently exists.

Also, make sure to upgrade the pump as Awkwardparrot mentioned...both upgrades are needed to work properly.

vlim13
11/12/2009, 07:54 PM
I didn't widen anything, but just filled the water up to a point where it just cascades from chamber 1 to 2. Otherwise you don't get very good circulation.

mattskims
11/12/2009, 08:04 PM
I didn't widen anything, but just filled the water up to a point where it just cascades from chamber 1 to 2. Otherwise you don't get very good circulation.

Are you running bioballs? A fuge? Upgraded pump?

pktech
11/12/2009, 08:10 PM
thanks again everyone. I appreciate the info & advice. Any pics of your cubes posted here?