PDA

View Full Version : new and looking for zoa info

MoNsTeR_LoVeR
11/10/2009, 07:24 PM
hello, im new to the site and was looking for local reef addicts like myself...

ive got a custom 40 gal zoa tank that needs some more bright zoas.. my setup is 30 x 24 x 20, no skimmer ,custom refugium and mp10 with a battery back up.. only fish im keeping in the tank are a 6line and a few cleaner shrimp...trying to keep it simple since i dont have much room for a big tank..

was hoping to find some techniques to make them grow faster...

- what do you feed yours
- how do you get them to spread
- what fish will benefit a zoa tank
- is a mp10 enough or too much for a 40gal square

evoracer
11/11/2009, 03:20 PM
In my zoa dominated frag tank I have never had a problem getting growth. However I recently started dosing amino acids by Warner and have seen a dramatic increase in coloration and polyp size/overall healthiness. I feed the tank with a mixture of DT's phyto and Oyster Feast, and add aminos a few times a week.
I have found that most zoas like moderate to high indirect flow. It helps keep the colonies clean and deters pests.
Also, what lighting are you using?

newbie916
11/12/2009, 12:48 AM
I feed my tank a combination of Oyster feast, phytofeast, and arctipods for the larger paly's. They tend to grow pretty well under proper conditions. I have a Koralia 1 &2 in my 24 gallon aquapod and 3 Koralia 4's in my 95 gallon. Zoa's actually grow almost anywhere. I have them high only several inches from my MH's and some all the way in the sand. Just let them grow and you could frag em and move em. Six line wrasses, Coris wrasses, dragonets, etc. are good because they help keep pests like flatworms etc. from irritating your polyps.