PDA

View Full Version : 6 Months to 1 year tank shots

Logzor
11/10/2009, 08:18 PM
Here is my 90g reef, going on a year old or so. It is finally beginning to fill out. Comments, critique, etc are welcome if not encouraged.

I had some issues getting good color on my sps corals, I am beginning to resolve this issue. I went down to running only five 54w T5 bulbs, the color have improved greatly over the past few months, the grow has been spectacular since I have made the change.

FTS as of today:

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/i/2009/314/c/6/November_2009_FTS_by_Logzor.jpg

Here it is back in May of this year!

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs45/i/2009/147/0/2/FTS_May_2009_by_Logzor.jpg

December of last year:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs38/i/2008/340/a/0/New_FTS_2008_by_Logzor.jpg

Macro shots:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1680224

minhvu
11/10/2009, 08:24 PM
Beautiful tank. Good growth too

flying_dutchman
11/10/2009, 08:39 PM
Amazing tank, do you dose any carbon scources ( vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc)?
What is your current fish list? Some more info on system skimmer, flow etc.?
BTW what are you water parameters?

menthol
11/10/2009, 09:56 PM
May '09
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/mentholr/Tank%20Pixs/IMG_6825.jpg

October '09
http://i624.photobucket.com/albums/tt327/mentholr/Tank%20Pixs/IMG_7517.jpg

Logzor
11/10/2009, 10:12 PM
Amazing tank, do you dose any carbon scources ( vodka, vinegar, sugar, etc)?
What is your current fish list? Some more info on system skimmer, flow etc.?
BTW what are you water parameters?

Thank you. I recently stopped dosing vodka because it caused a cyano bloom, which I am still trying to get rid of. Vodka dosing made my corals very light in color, which I did not like. Things are coloring back up since I have stopped.

Fish List:
5 Blue-Green Chromis
1 Tomini Tang
1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Two-barred Rabbitfish
1 clownfish

Skimmer is an Octo. Extreme 200, flow is supplied by two tunze 6100's and a koralia 3. I dose two part from a litermeter III.

Lighting is from a 7x54w constellation from aquaactinics, right now I only use 5 of the tubes.

Parameters:
Ca 420
Mg 1350
Alk 10 Dkh
Sg 1.026
Temp is solid at around 81-81.7
Ph ranges from 8.2-8.5 in a 24 hour period

I try to feed every other day, only with spectrum life pellets.

Other than this I dose iodine and MB7.

kaserpick
11/10/2009, 10:47 PM
Great job Logzor! :thumbsup: I'm loving the aquascaping!

Fish4Me2
11/10/2009, 11:32 PM
Looks amazing! Would you mind sharing what bulbs you're using, and what photo period? I"ve got the same fixture, but definitely not the same results!

PapaKlix
11/10/2009, 11:43 PM
I dose two part from a litermeter III.

Parameters:
Ca 420
Mg 1350
Alk 10 Dkh
Sg 1.026
Temp is solid at around 81-81.7
Ph ranges from 8.2-8.5 in a 24 hour period

your color is tremendous, IMO. i just ordered a litermeter III because i think the Ca reactor is too difficult to get right in my smaller tank (80 gallon). seeing your success with 2-part dosing via litermeter gives me encouragement!

the aquascape is very appealing and you've inspired me to tear mine down and start over:thumbsup:

flying_dutchman
11/10/2009, 11:53 PM
menthol,
?????????:confused:
But nice tank, is the power head on the right from ebay ;)?

preef
11/10/2009, 11:54 PM
Interesting about reducing the the bulbs. I have a 6x54W fixture on my 7 gal. I recently switched out a 6500K midday bulb and a Giesemann Aquablue+ for plane old stock Current actinics. The tank isn't as bright anymore and it is a lot bluer and my coral growth and color has improved significantly. Can you have too much light in a tank?

Tank looks great by the way.

flying_dutchman
11/10/2009, 11:55 PM
7? do you mean 70?

menthol
11/11/2009, 12:58 AM
menthol,
?????????:confused:
But nice tank, is the power head on the right from ebay ;)?

???????? <-- whaddya mean?!? LOL! I thought this was a "6 months to 1yr tank" show-off thread, hehe. am I OT? Im'ma take down my links, sorry logzor!

Haha, i'm in the Philippines man! I dont have ecotech's, vortech's and tunze's here. they charge you an arm and a leg for those over here, all i can afford are these China wavemakers, hehe, they do work believe it or not.

Tswifty
11/11/2009, 02:11 AM
Great Progress. :thumbsup:

ADMTyPeReEf-eR
11/11/2009, 05:58 AM
beautiful tank

tpenn187
11/11/2009, 07:09 AM
stunning tank!!!! your rock work is just about exactly what i am going to do for my 4ft 150. it is interesting about the lights, a friend has the same fixture and i think i will try to tell him this to see if it helps him out.

Logzor
11/11/2009, 07:48 AM
Looks amazing! Would you mind sharing what bulbs you're using, and what photo period? I"ve got the same fixture, but definitely not the same results!

Thank you for the compliment. I am currently running

4 blue+
1 Fiji Purple

I am going to add a couple actinics so I can use the other two sockets.

Great job Logzor! :thumbsup: I'm loving the aquascaping!

Thanks man. The comments are appreciated.

your color is tremendous, IMO. i just ordered a litermeter III because i think the Ca reactor is too difficult to get right in my smaller tank (80 gallon). seeing your success with 2-part dosing via litermeter gives me encouragement!

the aquascape is very appealing and you've inspired me to tear mine down and start over:thumbsup:

Thanks! I really like the litermeter, it is fantastic and easy to use. The aquascaping was a lot of fun to build. The people at bulk reef supply did a great job at picking out the rock that I wanted. I attached them with driveway marker rods and silicone. I used a masonry bit to make the holes.

Interesting about reducing the the bulbs. I have a 6x54W fixture on my 7 gal. I recently switched out a 6500K midday bulb and a Giesemann Aquablue+ for plane old stock Current actinics. The tank isn't as bright anymore and it is a lot bluer and my coral growth and color has improved significantly. Can you have too much light in a tank?

Tank looks great by the way.

I really like having a blue tank, it is not natural looking, though. I believe that you can have too much light with T5's. I am not sure what the science is, but people sometimes put well over 700 watts on a 90g, compared to my 270.

Logzor
11/11/2009, 07:51 AM
Great Progress. :thumbsup:

Thank you, I can never believe my eyes when I look back at these shots. I am glad I have a visual record.

beautiful tank

Thank you.

stunning tank!!!! your rock work is just about exactly what i am going to do for my 4ft 150. it is interesting about the lights, a friend has the same fixture and i think i will try to tell him this to see if it helps him out.

Let me know if it helps him, it is been a great change for my tank. I should mention that my fixture is sitting directly on top of the aquarium, which may make a difference.

Check out bulk reef supply for rock, they have very nice shelf pieces.

preef
11/11/2009, 08:03 AM
7? do you mean 70?

72 gal. Woops.

hatfielj
11/11/2009, 09:26 AM
Nice! It looks like you're getting great colors with that bulb combo.

plyle02
11/11/2009, 12:41 PM
Great looking tank Logzor!
Please keep updating, nice to see progression pics...

Logzor
11/11/2009, 08:49 PM
Great looking tank Logzor!
Please keep updating, nice to see progression pics...

Thanks Perry, I will keep the updates coming, at least every six months!

flyyyguy
11/11/2009, 09:25 PM
looks great logzor :)

Bolo Tran
11/11/2009, 09:38 PM
That's a stupendous looking tank! I'm currently running Radiums and after seeing your tank I'm thinking of switching over. Is the first shot with all bulbs running? Is that the true representation if how blue your tank looks? If so, do you get great growth with that?

Logzor
11/12/2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks Flyyy!

Bolo Tran,

Yes, that is with all bulbs running,
4 blue+
1 Fiji purple

It is a good representation but all of the highlights are blown out, showing a lot more reflection than there really is. The blue is a more toned down/soft in person.

The blue+ bulb puts of fantastic par, almost as much as the most intense T5 white bulbs (aquasun). The same with the fiji purple, excellent par. This is why I can get good results from blue light. This is a very different situation than with 20k radium and 10k MH bulbs.

It seems with T5 lighting you can get away with less wattage, I am not sure why. Maybe it is the spread of the light, it hits the entire surface of the coral with evenly powered light whereas MH are point source. The five bulb that I have running have produced much better growth than burning all seven. Growth comes from a large number of factors, with lighting playing only one role.

I plan on adding two super actinics, this should make my tank look even more like an alien landscape!

BLKTANG
11/21/2009, 09:48 PM
very nice

D' kingfisher
11/21/2009, 10:31 PM
awesome tank

bulbyman
11/21/2009, 10:39 PM
Awesome tank. What is the trick. Some day I hope my tank looks like that.

mws12075
11/21/2009, 10:44 PM
Look great!

Algae Growwer
11/21/2009, 11:10 PM
Very nice color . great looking tank!

jeffeg
11/22/2009, 01:58 AM
nice looking tank!

Oldude
11/22/2009, 03:08 AM
Lookin' good.

jsdancer
11/22/2009, 08:09 AM
great job!!!

Logzor
11/22/2009, 10:08 AM
great tank.gorgeous

very nice

awesome tank

Awesome tank. What is the trick. Some day I hope my tank looks like that.

Keep pushing, it is only a matter of time.

Look great!

Very nice color . great looking tank!

nice looking tank!

Lookin' good.

great job!!!

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments. It means a lot. It has been a tough road but when things finally come together it is well worth it!

So, I was thinking about getting a Vortech. Being that there a bunch of expert user on this forum and I looking for advice as where to place this pump. I am afraid that where I put it, it will either be blocked by the tall rock structures to be too close to my corals. Any ideas?

danceswithfish
11/22/2009, 11:24 AM
I am curious how much you open up your powerheads. Do you run them at full power?

Thanks

Logzor
11/22/2009, 11:26 AM
The tunze 6100 in the back, towards the bottom is on full-blast. It dosent hit and corals and forces water in a circle motion counter-clockwise.

The top 6100 on the left does the exact opposite, this one is on half-power.

There is a koralia 3 on the back in the middle, just under the bottom shelf rock.

TheBennyJ
11/22/2009, 09:57 PM
it always amazing to go back and look at pictures of things when I first bought them compared to now. I sometimes get sad to see the colonies I lost

tuckdawaytoo
11/22/2009, 10:21 PM
What is that on the bottom L by overflow? Didn't appear to be in 6 month picture?

spleify
11/22/2009, 11:11 PM
Nice progression. Keep up the great work

nGo
11/22/2009, 11:35 PM
Beautiful tank.

jennmac415
11/23/2009, 01:38 AM
Tank looks amazing!!

I am running 5 Blue plus, 1 aquablue and 1 fiji purple ( of course it is 7 rows, with 2 39 watt bulbs side by side since it is the 72" constellation...)....and I HATE when the aquablue comes on... your tank just helped me decide to take it OUT!! I have a superactinic I could put in its place....so do you think keeping the other bulbs except for the aquablue and adding in the superactinic would be ok? Since all the other bulbs are high par, it should do fine don't you think?

reefworldaq
11/23/2009, 05:07 AM
did you eating the coral, because your coral look healty and you use bb tank.

aquasport24
11/23/2009, 05:37 AM
Very nice tank, i like the rock works alot.

purplereef
11/23/2009, 07:16 AM
I said it before and I will say it again Nice Tank Logzor!

sedor
11/23/2009, 07:36 AM
Beautiful tank...if your not dosing a carbon source, what are you doing for NO3 and PO4 control?

ddcotter
11/23/2009, 09:49 AM
Love the colors in your tank, good work!

taichimaster
11/23/2009, 01:31 PM
that is beautiful, great growth

kikireef
11/23/2009, 01:56 PM
Those are amazing pics and great growth. i run a similar light setup (6 x 80w bulbs)

ATI blue +
KZ fiji purple
ATI blue +
ATI aquablue special
ATI blue +
ATI blue +

So far my growth has been good too. Loving the pics

Logzor
11/23/2009, 04:00 PM
it always amazing to go back and look at pictures of things when I first bought them compared to now. I sometimes get sad to see the colonies I lost

I am glad that I have documented all of my corals and tank progression. Even if l lose stuff at some point I will still be proud of the accomplishments. You can always grow stuff back, that is the most wonderful thing about this hobby.

What is that on the bottom L by overflow? Didn't appear to be in 6 month picture?

Those are two leather corals that I moved in from another tank. I have had those two for well over a year.

Nice progression. Keep up the great work

Beautiful tank.

Tank looks amazing!!

I am running 5 Blue plus, 1 aquablue and 1 fiji purple ( of course it is 7 rows, with 2 39 watt bulbs side by side since it is the 72" constellation...)....and I HATE when the aquablue comes on... your tank just helped me decide to take it OUT!! I have a superactinic I could put in its place....so do you think keeping the other bulbs except for the aquablue and adding in the superactinic would be ok? Since all the other bulbs are high par, it should do fine don't you think?

Thanks to all of you, the compliments are very important to me.

Jennmac, I always hated when my aquablues came on, too! It just washed everything out. I actually have the same plan, my aquablues are still in, I just dont turn them on. I have some superactinics on the way, though. It will definitely been fine, I seem to be doing ok with 5 bulbs. Adding actinics will put some more PAR down but not much.

did you eating the coral, because your coral look healty and you use bb tank.

I assume you are asking about feeding the corals. I do not directly feed them, I usually only feed pellet food to the fish. Once a month I will spot feed the duncan and dendro and generously spray pureed fish food throughout the tank. I use homemade and some rods frozen food that I won at a fragswap.

Very nice tank, i like the rock works alot.

Thank you. The rockwork was a lot of fun. It is all bulkreefsupply figi and shelf. I used driveway marker rods and silicone to hook them together. I used with a masonry bit to drill the holes.

I said it before and I will say it again Nice Tank Logzor!

Beautiful tank...if your not dosing a carbon source, what are you doing for NO3 and PO4 control?

Thank you. This picture is after taking a 1 month break from vodka dosing. I had been dosing for nearly two months before I took the break. I found that my corals lightened in coral and cyano exploded. I never had an issue with cyano before, so I decided to stop. My corals are just now starting to regain color.

Love the colors in your tank, good work!

Thank you, it is been a long time in the making!

that is beautiful, great growth

Thank you. Things are starting to get too packed, though. I guess I'll need a larger tank.

Those are amazing pics and great growth. i run a similar light setup (6 x 80w bulbs)

ATI blue +
KZ fiji purple
ATI blue +
ATI aquablue special
ATI blue +
ATI blue +

So far my growth has been good too. Loving the pics

Excellent bulb combo!

beeker
01/08/2010, 03:56 PM
Tank looks amazing Logzor!

I'll have to try to check it out in person sometime

I haven't seen pics of your tank up on cincy reef, but my work comp blocks some of those but never the less your tank looks great

if you do ever want to go back to Vodka dosing, try only doing it 2 days a week with the Mb7

thats what i do on my 29g BC 2 drops of Vodka a week and 1 drop of Elo's aminos when i add the Vodka so 2 drops of it a week as well

i get the good results of Vodka without having all the cyano and bad algea that i got when i used to dose it everyday, like you i stopped when i got the cyano, ran Vodkaless for 7-8 months and then went back to the Vodka for extra growth

i'll have pics of my tank up on here and cincyreef this comming monday i plan oon taking some new ones

spleify
01/08/2010, 06:37 PM
Great work, really nice looking tank

joshrules123456
01/08/2010, 06:49 PM
nice tank, post it in my show me your low light sps tanks thread, it fits the bill perfectly!

Flanders
01/08/2010, 07:11 PM
the rockwork in this tank is really spectacular. I love it!

partsguy247
01/09/2010, 07:01 PM
Your lighting set up looks a lot like my old set up. I was afraid that i would run into algae problem but your tank convinced me to put my lights back to the way i like them.
I really like your tank.