PDA

View Full Version : Vortech and makin waves!

pledosophy
11/10/2009, 08:38 PM
I have wanted a Vortech for years, finally my wife convinced me to buy one (just had to throw in how wonderful my wife is and lucky I am (she might read this later))

I can't figure out what I am doing wrong, there is no wave. :(I've been reading the directions and trying for like an hour. I can't figure it out. I'm sure it's something easy.

So if your making waves with a vortech, help a homie out.

I have a Vortech MP20, a 65g tank footprint of 36x18. The pump is on the upper right side, maybe three inches from the top of the tank.

Thanks.

JD52
11/10/2009, 08:42 PM
What mode are you using? I use long pulse mode on full blast at about 5 second intervals and get a decent surge.

pledosophy
11/10/2009, 08:49 PM
I have tried long and short.

I guess I will try long more. I have to figure out how to set the intervals. I'm just not getting it.

JD52
11/10/2009, 09:04 PM
You have to give it some time to develop the undertow, you wont see the results immediately.

Nereaga
11/10/2009, 09:33 PM
I would move the pump down to about 5-6'' below the surface on the water to start. I have mine in Long mode too, BLUE color on driver. When you first set it to this mode the first thing you will adjust is the max speed of the pump, I cranked mine all the way up, then press the set button again and now you will set the length of the wave. I have mine set pretty fast, about 3-4 seconds and then it spins again. Once you have it where you like it, hold the set button until it saves.

Just takes some time. I had a Mp20 on my 50g breeder and it did an ok wave, until I upgraded to the Mp40w and WOW!

JD52
11/10/2009, 09:43 PM
Blue is short puls, salmon is long...

pledosophy
11/10/2009, 09:44 PM
The directions say the lights will flash when the speed is accepted, but they just get dim, no flashing

To set the wave time, do you turn the dial or press the set button again after the desired time length has passed.

How long should I wait to see if the wave gets created, minutes or hours?

Thanks so much

JD52
11/10/2009, 09:51 PM
Try powering it down by pulling the 24v power supply, then power it back up and press the mode/set buttons at the same time until the lights flash red/white/blue. That will clear any memory, then press the mode button untill you get the mode you want according to the color displayed. If you want long pulse, choose the salmon color, use the adjust dial to adjust the output speed then press the mode button, the colors should switch between salmon and green indicating the setting was saved. Once the settings are saved, use the adjust dial again to adjust the pulse interval, you can hear ir if you put your ear on the pump, once you get it to where you want, press the set button and walla.. lol It will flash different shades of salmon according to the pulse.. Id wait about 30 minutes after adjusting to see the results..

pledosophy
11/10/2009, 10:11 PM
Thank you so much for your help.

I get to the point where it goes green saving the output speen now, but it never goes back to salmon, even after pressing the set button to save the pulse.

I think I must just be a dork.

JD52
11/10/2009, 10:14 PM
Keep trying, you'll get it. Embrace your dorkiness. lmao

pledosophy
11/10/2009, 10:30 PM
I'm still tryin, it might be working alright now, just waiting for the wave . . . and waiting.

It's still pretty cool.

I wear sweater vests every day, I think the dorkness is a badge of honor.