PDA

View Full Version : tomato clowns...

overflowin
11/11/2009, 09:40 PM
i've had a tomato clown in my so-called interim tank for about 3 and a half years now. I am finally making the move from this long term temporary tank to a permanent, larger tank. I'd like to add a second tomato clown to the tank, which currently has a very light load. from what i have read in the past the best course is to find the smallest possible clown i can and introduce it as soon as the move to the larger tank takes place. i don't want to buy a fish and have the older, larger clown kill it... is this the best technique for adding a second specimen? any ideas?

Coral Hind
11/13/2009, 08:07 AM
That is a sound idea. By getting a small juvenile fish you are not risking possible sex compatibility problems, i.e. two females. If the attacks end in locked jaws and fins are being torn then you will need to seperate them.

As a part of pairing you need to know what the submissive behavior looks like. First the dominate fish will rush or otherwise attack the submissive fish. The submissive fish will turn sideways to the dominate fish and tilt its belly towards the dominate fish and quiver like an epileptic seizure. The female should recognize this behavior and stop the attack short of actual damage. Sometimes in new pairings and old well established pair bonds the dominate fish will move to a parallel position to the submissive and quiver back to the submissive fish.

In some clowns there is an additional submissive behavior, mostly observed in maroons. When the submissive fish is rushed or otherwise attacked it/he will duck the attack, slip to the side of the female and tenderly kiss her cheek spines and pectoral fins.

overflowin
11/13/2009, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. Currently the only fish in my 30 gallon are a very small royal gramma and the tomato. I am planning a move back into my 75 in a few months. Do you think I should wait for that, or would it be irrelevant considering my small fish population?

Coral Hind
11/13/2009, 08:31 AM
You would be fine to try it now.

hovhanh
11/13/2009, 12:42 PM
cut the top off a 1 liter bottle, and cut small holes throughout the bottle and introduce the smaller clown in the bottle.